New Discussion юеВ

Re: ROBOT error messages

SOLVED
Go to solution
Aaron Lewis_1
Frequent Advisor

ROBOT error messages

I am writing some DCL for ROBOT management and I want to suppress this message:

ROBOT $2$GGA0: is not responding: SCSI Reservation Conflict.

It is the result of a failed RESERVE command. I turn off system messages with the SET MESS command, and redirect SYS$OUTPUT, OPCOM is disable, and the Terminal has ALL broadcast messages classes disable, but it still shows up on screen.

Any idea what else I can turn off?
16 REPLIES 16
Anton van Ruitenbeek
Trusted Contributor

Aaron,

Are you on console ?

AvR
NL: Meten is weten, maar je moet weten hoe te meten! - UK: Measuremets is knowledge, but you need to know how to measure !
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

redirect sys$error
you have already done
$ set term/nobroad
add
$ set broa=none
Aaron Lewis_1
Frequent Advisor

I tried redirecting sys$error, but no good. The message still shows up.

And no, I am not on the console.
Anton van Ruitenbeek
Trusted Contributor

Aaron,

I have a DCL procedure written using the ROBOT tool and I always redirect sys$output !
Whit this tool I can init/insert new tape when needed using OPCOM (unattended)/export tape in IO slot/import tape from IO slot/replace tape when neede using OPCOM/clean tapeunit all in a robot environment.
The procedure runs unattended and is self forfilling using the OPCOM needs.
You can do 'your things' by asking it true OPCOM.
Options are:
Please mount
Robot dismount
Robot export
Robot import
Robot clean
Robot reset
Robot check

If you want you may have it.
All is aranged and checked by system (if possible cluster) logicals. So only one node in a whole cluster manage the robot(s). This is be done because some robots can't deal with more then one questionary.
All error messages will be send to predecided users/email services and all (necessery) messages can be redirected to users/email services.
The tool is running for several years now and works fine. Even for people who never used or know how to use a robot and the robot tool itself.
The major thing is that the label on the end of the tape (hardware) must be filled so this tool manage that the softwarelabel will be the same as the hardwarelabel.
I use LAT for a fake OPCOM-terminal and OPCOM for stearing the procedure.

AvR
NL: Meten is weten, maar je moet weten hoe te meten! - UK: Measuremets is knowledge, but you need to know how to measure !
Anton van Ruitenbeek
Trusted Contributor

As add to my last message, using this tool you don't need to modify any backup routines or other procedures because this procedure will use the default OPCOM from default VMS.

AvR
Verne Britton
Regular Advisor

Dear Anton,

Sounds like a very useful routine ... can you post it here or make it available for all of us (maybe a future Freeware contribution as well) ??

Verne
Aaron Lewis_1
Frequent Advisor

Anton, It sounds like a very useful tool, and I would like to see it. We are in the middle of a LAT retirement project, so I would have to make some changes to make it work over IP. If you could post it here that would be great.

However, I still would like to know how to suppress the error messages generated by ROBOT commands. Redirecting sys$output & sys$error have no effect, neither does turning off system messaging (SET MESS) or disabeling broadcast meassages.
Jur van der Burg
Respected Contributor

Did you redirect sys$output and sys$error at the same time? You may need to redirect both to suppress the message.

Jur.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Anton,

remember to rename the .COM to .TXT before appending!

(And I _KNOW_ this tool! I use it. It is just GREAT!)

Aaron, I would say. the post he attaches this procedure to deserves the full ten points!

OTOH, Anton, maybe it also deserves to be posted at DCL.OPENVMS.ORG?

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe

Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.