2884 Online
108839 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Rackmounting a DS20E

Gerry Downey
Frequent Advisor

Rackmounting a DS20E

Hello,
I have a pedestal DS20E that I want to rackmount. I was under the impression that you just had to remove the panels, turn it on its side and attach the rails. However when I
removed the panels, there didnt appear to be any mounting holes for the rails.

Is the pedestal DS20E rack mountable?

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11
Bill Hall
Honored Contributor

Gerry,

Yes, the DS20E is rack mountable. DS20Es sold as a chassis with one of the following mandatory mounting kits:

Pedestal/Tower bezel kit 3X-BA56P-PB

Rackmount bezel kit (M-Series Cabinets) 3X-BA56R-RC

Rackmount bezel kit for 9000 Series Cabinets
3X-BA56R-RE

Bill
Bill Hall
Gerry Downey
Frequent Advisor

Hello Bill,
Thanks for the prompt reply. We purchased the 3X-BA56R-RE and thats what I'm having the problem with. This does not seem to fit the pedestal/tower bezel kit that we have here.

So maybe this rackmount kit is only suitable for the 3X-BA56R-RC rackmount bezel kit?

EdgarZamora_1
Respected Contributor

You need a rackmount bezel kit too.
EdgarZamora_1
Respected Contributor

Oops nevermind.. I see you did buy the bezel kit. Did you buy the right one for the rack that you have?
Gerry Downey
Frequent Advisor

The DS20E I have is a 3X-BA56P-PB which is a DS20E in tower format. What I purchased is a 3X-BA56R-RE which is just the rails. Is there something else I need to purchase to convert the DS20E chassis so that I can attach the rails?

Bill Hall
Honored Contributor

Gerry,

You should have everything you need to mount the DS20E in a Compaq/HP 9000 or 10000 rack if you did purchase a complete 3X-BA56R-RE kit. I would have expected installation instructions and diagrams to be included with the kit. It should work as well in a rack cabinet made by Rittal and maybe in a generic 19inch rack. Generic 19inch racks can require additional engineering to get the rails to mount adequately.

Your DS20E Reference Manual has a section and diagrams for rack mounting the chassis in an M-series cabinet. Not the same as the 9000/10000 19inch rack, but it should give you the general idea of where the rails attach to the chassis. You can find a copy at the following url if you don't have a copy:
http://h18003.www1.hp.com/alphaserver/download/ds20e_reference_d.pdf

Bill
Bill Hall
Gerry Downey
Frequent Advisor

Bill,
The problem isnt with attaching the rails to the cabinet, its with attaching the runners to the side of the DS20E.

The document you attached shows how to rackmount the rackmountable chassis, but not how to rackmount the tower chassis.

I have taken all the panels off the DS20E and there are no screw holes where the rails should go.

Bill Hall
Honored Contributor

Gerry,

The QuickSpecs for the DS20E shows only one chassis and three different kits for mounting, tower/pedestal, M-series cabinet and the Compaq/HP 9000 cabinet.

Are you sure you have a DS20E and not a DS20? IIRC, the DS20 used a common chassis with the AlphaServer 1200 and a Digital Prioris Wintel server and is a larger chassis than the DS20E. Dimensions of the DS20 are 18.1 x 14.1 x 23.1 in/46 x 35.8 x 58.6 cm and the DS20's rack mount kit consisted of a shelf and a dress bezel (kit 2T-R1200-AB for M-series cabinets). IIRC, the pedestal wheels were removed from the DS20 and the chassis was set on the shelf and then bolted to the shelf. I mounted 16 of those in 8 M-series cabinets back in 1999. We had to deploy them a matter of months before the DS20E started shipping (the DS20E chassis was actually much easier to rack mount and the cpus were upgradeable).

Bill
Bill Hall
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Gerry,

from your Forum Profile:

I have assigned points to 47 of 80 responses to my questions.

--- the unassigned questions go back to 2004 ---

Maybe you can find some time to do some assigning?

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Mind, I do NOT say you necessarily need to give lots of points. It is fully up to _YOU_ to decide how many. If you consider an answer is not deserving any points, you can also assign 0 ( = zero ) points, and then that answer will no longer be counted as unassigned.
Consider, that every poster took at least the trouble of posting for you!

To easily find your streams with unassigned points, click your own name somewhere.
This will bring up your profile.
Near the bottom of that page, under the caption "My Question(s)" you will find "questions or topics with unassigned points " Clicking that will give all, and only, your questions that still have unassigned postings.
If you have closed some of those streams, you must "Reopen" them to "Submit points". (After which you can "Close" again)

Do not forget to explicitly activate "Submit points", or your effort gets lost again!!

Thanks on behalf of your Forum colleagues.

PS. - nothing personal in this. I try to post it to everyone with this kind of assignment ratio in this forum. If you have received a posting like this before - please do not take offence - none is intended!

PPS. - Zero points for this.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.