3074 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Recall Command

Zeni B. Schleter
Regular Advisor

Recall Command

OpenVMS 7.3-2

Is there a way to do "Recall/Output=file.ext" from a command procedure?

I checked the manual and it refers to terminal buffer only but perhaps there is a way to redirect the buffer within a command procedure.

*note- I had earlier posted this on the wrong forum .
29 REPLIES 29
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

The recall buffer remembers commands entered at a terminal not anything from a command procedure. What are you trying to achive?

Zeni,

you can view the command recall buffer with SDA:

$ SET PROC/PRIV=CMK
$ ANAL/SYS
CLUE PROCESS/RECALL
EXIT

For a sufficiently privileged user, these commands can be executed in a DCL procedure.

The RECALL commands only work if you are at the DCL prompt, not from within a DCL procedure.

Volker.
Zeni B. Schleter
Regular Advisor

I am trying to collect commands issued for a privileged interactive session.

I have set up the LOGGER utility from the freeware link. It works but capturing the command stream would take less space.

Bullet-proof is not part of the requirement. Privileged users by definition have privileged access.
Heinz W Genhart
Honored Contributor

Hi

You can do the following:

$ define sys$output tempfile.tmp
$ recall/all
$ deassign sys$output

You will find all previous entered commands in tempfile.tmp

Regards

Heinz
Zeni B. Schleter
Regular Advisor

The Clue Process works for OpenVMS 7.3-2 but I have some VAX at v7.1.
Zeni B. Schleter
Regular Advisor

Heinz,
Trying to redirect the output did not work on either VMS 7.1 nor VMS 7.3-2
Zeni B. Schleter
Regular Advisor

Volker,
The Analy/Sys will work well for the newer systems. That will help a lot. Thanks.
The logger routine will work for the older systems. Since there is less activity on those, that should be livable.
Thanks to all for input.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Zeni,

you dind't say you wanted to do this on VAX as well ;-)

See the following article for how to do this on a VAX. There are no CLUE$SDA extensions for OpenVMS VAX.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/asktima/operating_systems/00947357-25899660-1C01E7.html

Volker.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

fyi,

RECALL/ALL explicitly protects against writing to an output file when in batch mode. They (Dave M) designed it that way in order to protect against malicious batch jobs 'scraping' the command stream for passwords. I always thought this was a poorly exectued idea as it is obviously very handy to be able to save teh recall automatically when you logout. But this is the way it is (unfortunately) designed to work and how it will stay working.

There is code (freeware) out there that can help with this problem. There are even DCL prodecures that dive into DCL data space to extract the old commands. Google and yeah shall find.

Cheers,
Hein.