New Discussion юеВ

Re: Record Terminator

SOLVED
Go to solution
Henry_52
Advisor

Record Terminator

Hello,

I converted OpenVMS flat file to HPUX flat file using Vbackup. But When I read converted files, I can't find record terminator.(It looks like one record.) How can I see record terminator after conversion.

Henry

Below is replied e-mail from BBC.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It is not that Vbackup did not put the record terminator into the file but rather because on VMS there might not have been a record terminator that UNIX will recognize. On some files in OpenVMS, for example, the record begins with a 4 digit number that indicates how long the record is. Extracted to a UNIX system this would look like a single record.

Adding characters to a file to indicate the end of a record is not always what people need. Without the options set Vbackup does not modify the data being restored.

To make some files useable on UNIX, there has to be some additional conversion. Vbackup cannot know, for example, what the fields in a record should be. That would have to be done after the data is extracted.
20 REPLIES 20
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Henry,

I don't know what Vbackup is. However, under OpenVMS "flat file" doesn't really mean much. What was the exact record format? Stream? Variable? VFC?

You may need to CONVERT the file to a more Unix friendly format before moving it to HP-UX. Exactly what format depends on what record terminator you want to see.

The e-mail you quote says much the same thing. One GUESS as to what you may want to do:

$ CONVERT/FDL=SYS$INPUT flatfile.dat unix.dat
RECORD
FORMAT STREAM_LF
^Z

This will remove any variable length record or VFC metadata and insert an LF character as the record terminator (or course, if your data also includes LF characters you might have a problem).

Now run your Vbackup on unix.dat
A crucible of informative mistakes
David B Sneddon
Honored Contributor

Henry,

Depending on the size of the files and the
connectivity between the systems you might
want to try C-Kermit, which tends to handle
"flat file" transfers between different
architectures.

Dave
David B Sneddon
Honored Contributor

Henry,

Just had another thought -- have you tried using
ZIP (without saving the VMS attributes) then
using "unzip -aa" to force the extraction to
treat all files as text?

Dave
Dima Bessonov
Frequent Advisor

Henry,

John basically said it all, I just want to add a couple of comments. Unlike Windows and UNIX file systems which (afaik) always treat the contents of a file as a stream of records divided by record terminators (usually , , or , depending on the system), VMS's RMS (aka Record Management Services) can create files using different record types as well. You can use DIR/FULL to see what record type the file(s) of interest has. Normally, if an application reads file record by record (i.e. explicitly or implicitly uses RMS), it doesn't see any difference between record types because it's RMS that takes care of the file internal structure. However, if an app bypasses RMS and reads raw data from the file block by block, it should learn the record type from the file header. Otherwise, it'll end up mixing actual record data with the file system control data. That's probably what happens with your Vbackup. Probably you can't do anything about the Vbackup itself but, as John already said, you can convert the files to the record type that is assumed by Vbackup. Just know exactly, what particular type of record terminator it wants. John's example applies to the case where single is needed. If you need , type "STREAM_CR" instead of "STREAM_LF", if it's , type just "STREAM". Hope that helps.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

> I converted OpenVMS flat file to HPUX flat file using Vbackup

Sounds like Vbackup is a tool on HP-UX.
Most readers here will not be able to judge whether this is the right or wrong tool.
Please provide use with quick pointer to the tool spec IF you are convinced this is the rigth solution.

More likely you were already 'too late'.
The 'damage' / confusion was probably introduced during the transfer and no tool on hpux can fix it afer the fact (unless your data has recognizeable record markers or a predictable (fixed) length.

FTP -- TEXT (ASCI) mode is the easiest 'conversion' during the transfer.
CHeck out the earlier replies on how to prepare a file on VMS (stream_lf) before the transfer if needed.

If none of the above replies help, then you'll have to communicate better what problem your are trying to solve.
What does the input look like (DIR/FULL? ANAL/RMS? DUMP/BLOC=COUN=1 ?)
What should the output on jUX look like? (od -x ?)

hth,
Hein.

Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Henry,
typing DIR/FULL you can see file type. The unique flat file is fixed that's is treated as binary.
All other file type are not supported by other OS.
Text file could be easly converted but VFC or variable len file need conversion in VMS environment than may be exported to other OS.
Because conversion analyze is too complex you could post original file type for furthermore help.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Henry_52
Advisor

Vbackup restores OpenVMS backup tape to HPUX system directly. I have so many OpenVMS backup tapes and I won't use OpenVMS System soon. I restored OpenVMS backup tape to HPUX system and when I read restored flat file, I couldn't find record terminator.(Using vi, I met "line too long" error message).
Is there any solution after restoring tape to HPUX ?

Thank you for your quick replies.

Henry

Below is Vbackup homepage.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.bosbc.com
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi Henry,
I've looked into bosbc web site and it seems vbackup keeps file attributes.
Because you post vi error line too long, I guess you will edit some text files.
I think you wil try edit some VFC file instead text file. VFC and/or var record files in vms have a byte counter at begin of line and may does't exits end of line.
I hope follows example can help you to understand:

TEXT FILE (MSDOS AND VMS)
|M|Y|L|I|N|E|\r|\n| Text followed by CR (13) and LF (10)

TEXT FILE (UNIX)
|M|Y|L|I|N|E|\n| Text followed by LF (10) called NL in unix

VAR RECORD FILE WITHOUT TERMINATOR (ONLY VMS)
|06|M|Y|L|I|N|E| ASCII 6 to set record len

When you use vi in unix, in 1.st case you read text with \r and end of line; in 2.nd case you read fine; in 3.th case you receive line too long error because vi doesn't find newline (LF).
In unix there is a hex dump utility: you can use this command to view inside file and you can understand what's happening.

Antonio Vigliotti

Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hello Henry,

from all the information I've found on the internet there is no indication that Vbackup does handle VFC files well. Your best bet is to get access to a VMS system, read your files there and rely on ftp and/or zip to do the "right" thing as far as record terminators are concerned.

Greetings, Martin