1748151 Members
3810 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Redirecting OpenVMS queue to Windows queue

MarkW_1
Regular Advisor

Redirecting OpenVMS queue to Windows queue

Alpha server ds20e running OpenVMS7.3-2 Multinet 5.0. Would like to create a print queue that points to a windows 2003 print queue. Not sure how to redirect to the queue if it is possible.
14 REPLIES 14
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

You can export the queue as LPD queue on the windows system and create a LPD queue on VMS.

regards Kalle
Jorge Cocomess
Super Advisor

Karl,

Can you give us some examples or syntax on how to perform this task on OpenVMS?

Thank you in advance.
J
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Search this forum for LPD printing, there were several streams about this ,e.g.
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=883937

regards Kalle
Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor

Mark/Jorge,
unless you specifically need LPD queues, I'd use TELNETSYM to print :-

$ INIT queuename /QUEUE /FORM=xxx /AUTO=node::"address:port" /PROC=TCPIP$TELNETSYM /START

e.g.

$ INIT MYQUE /FORM=DEFAULT /AUTO=KANSAS::"saleshp:9100" /PROC=TCPIP$TELNETSYM /START

Most HP's work from port 9100, and this method will avoid a lot of LPD headaches.

Rob.

Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

If it is a supported printer by DCPS, you may even use DCPS together with LPD or better rawTCP. It gives yu a lot of control over the printout.

regards Kalle
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Mark,

please consider the previous answers REAL seriously!

_IF_ however, there still exists a compelling reason to print to a M$-controlled print setup (eg. some package for Secure Printing that is only available on M$, but MUST also be used from VMS - been there, been hurt by that), _AND_, you need your VMS-way of print setup (by way of setup-modules and/or print qualifiers), then you CAN get that done, at the cost of some effort.
- use a (eg: LATSYM ) symbiont to merge all modules etc into one integrated printfile (imitating the *UX or M$ PrinterDriver) out to a spoolfile.
- LPD-print that file to the M$ system
- (on M$) spool that file onto the actual printer.

Summary: now you need THREE (2 VMS + 1 M$) queues per printer; and what you get in return is nightmares of printproblem debugging.
If the first queue delivers the print (barring spool Device Full situations: always) your users receive "Successfull Completion", but any problem in LPD-to-M$, on M$, M$-to-printer, and in the printer, just leads to "Where is my output, it was printed ok!".
But if your management insists, there IS a way!

Wishing you wisdom & patience on that.

Proost.

Have one on me (maybe in May in Nashua?)

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Hakan Zanderau ( Anders
Trusted Contributor

You need the Windows component "Other Network File and Print Services" enabled on the PC. This feature enables LPR/LPD and makes your "shared" queues targets for remote LPD-servers ( VMS ).

I'm not sure the syntax for setting up LPR/LPD using Multinet.

BUT.....the printcap-parameters "rm" & "rp" should point to your PC and the shared queue.

rm = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ( or hostname )
rp = printshare on PC

regards,

Hakan Andersson

I used to work at Digital/Compaq/HP Customer Support Center in Stockholm, Sweden. One of my special skills were (still are) setting upp printerqueues in complex environments.
Don't make it worse by guessing.........
Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor

Hakan - could you have a look at this thread http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1006089 to see if you have any other ideas?

Ian Miller has kindly helped by suggesting EXECSYMB, but I'd like to know if there are any other ways to 'skin the cat'.

Thanks, Robert.
Hakan Zanderau ( Anders
Trusted Contributor

I need to make one thing clear.

There is no such thing as "LPD headace" ;-)

See the different symbionts as different tools in a toolbox.

One advantage of LPD is to target QUEUES on remote nodes. PRTSMB, LATSYM, TELNETSYM all targets PORTS. One disadvantage of LPD is that it sucks when it comes to formatting......
That's why we use TELNET-relay queue to combine two symbionts, one to format and one to send the job to a remote queue.

The original question was to target a QUEUE on a remote host......wich requires LPR/LPD.

regards,

Hakan Andersson
Don't make it worse by guessing.........