1752802 Members
5811 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Restore System Disks

Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Restore System Disks

We take our system disk backups during activity with /ign=interlock.
Did someone already had problems with restoring such backups ? And how did you solve it ?

I'm thinking of :

1) the queue db is also in it : scheduled jobs starting because the start time is already in the past, worst : they all start together
2) the queue db is recorded invalidly because not all files are backuped on exactly the same moment

Wim
Wim
10 REPLIES 10
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Re: Restore System Disks

Hi Wim,

We did ran into a problem with the queue manager's database, after a restore of a system disk (backup-ed with /ign=interlock).
We solved it by stopping the queue manager, throwing the db away, restarting the queue manager, and submitting the jobs again (we do keep a list of the batch/print queues, and of the jobs that should be in them).

Regards,
Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Last time I checked, one could do a CONVERT/SHARE on the files while the system is up, but as you have at least 3 files, there is a certain chance of receiving an inconsistency.
Garry Fruth
Trusted Contributor

Wim, I know you asked for real events instead of hypothetical. As I am sure you already know, there are several files that may be on the system disk that are open with possible activity. Sysuaf, rightlist, accounting, audit logs, ....

FWIW, for the twenty + years that I have been involved with system management activities on VMS, the last 14 of which consulting in a dozen or so shops, I have yet to meet a client that regularly does stand-alone backups on the system disk. Those that have done standalone backup were preparing for some sort of upgrade. I don't recall ever having a problem after restoring a system disk from backup... probably because it is such a rare event. System disks are almost always mirrored or shadowed.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Hey, Google is really amazing - the first entry is:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/731FINAL/6017/6017pro_056.html

See section "13.9 Saving and Restoring the Queue Database"

I know you're on V7.3, but I've read about this a long time before V7.3-1 was released.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Wim,

our experience MAY be a bit skewed by the fact that our QUEUE files are not on the system disk. (remember, we started out as mixed VAX-Alpha cluster, in which case the que files MUST be on a cluster-common disk that is NOT the system disk for either).

As you might guess for a never-down cluster, stand-alone backups are not an option.

The way we do our utmost to have consistency is by effectively having instantanuous backups.

That is achieved by 3-member shadowsets. In one pass, from all sets one member is dismounted, which makes them (nearly) instantanuous images. That it takes some time to write their contents to tape is irrelevant for this discussion.

During the migration from HSZ-connected disks to SAN disks we DID have queue problems, but restoring the files from backup went just fine. We only had to make sure some jobs that in reality had already run were prevented. We disabled AUTOSTART, checked and if needed corrected all entries.

"Interesting" moments though!

Hope this helps.

Proost,

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Wilm,

On the use of /IGNORE=INTERLOCK, yes it is a problem. It depends on the "luck of the draw". For example:

- user changes password while backup in progress
- batch/print job changes status or attributes while backup is in pogress.

Is the danger theoretical? Yes, and No. For the record, I HAVE SEEN problems occur. Does every backup done with IGNORE=INTERLOCK fail, NO. Is the potential for serious problems there: YES.

What steps you take depend on the potential side effects.

The solution with a third shadow set member works well, but it if you want guarantees, one must quiesce the system for the instant that it takes to disconnect the third shadowset member.

A compromise is to take the BACKUP; and make seperate copies of those files that were interlocked. I am limiting this discussion to system files. If applications are included, check carefully, applications that perform extensive internal cacheing, particularly write-back style, are at a serious potential of confusion if you ignore interlocking.

A valid strategy on a pure system disk is to perform the BACKUP without IGNORE=INTERLOCK, and back up those few files separately with appropriate means.

I hope that the above is helpful.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

note with /IGNORE=INTERLOCK you can get corrupt files and no message about the file being open.

At least without this qualifier you know what you did not backup and then can back it up in another way.

Read the wise words of the VMS Wizard
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/wizard/wiz_2760.html

and on restoring system disks
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/wizard/wiz_1386.html