3364 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Running sda files on openvms

susanta nayak
Advisor

Running sda files on openvms

Hi,
I have a file which is a self decrypting library. The extension of the file is .sda.exe. How do I run the file in HP Openvms platform?

Warm Regards,
Sushanta
3 REPLIES 3
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

First: Since this is not a standard VMS name, it might be an executable that cannot be run on openVMS - but the system will tell you if that is the case.
Second: .exe soesn't mean it is a stand-alone executable. It might be an 'shared library' - in most cases, such an execuatble contains routines to be called from a real executable. Such an image cannoty be run directly - but the system will tell you if that is the case.

Ok.
To run such an image with such a name, just issue the command:

$ run .sda

(.exe is the default extension for the RUN command)

WG

Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Sushanta,

depending on your version of OpenVMS, your process settings and the disk volume structure level, this file name may not even be a valid filename on OpenVMS !

If you believe, that this file is an OpenVMS executable for the architecture of your OpenVMS system, you can check with:

$ ANAL/IMAGE/INTER filename

Volker.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

On a host of the same architecture, the commands needed here are probably:

SET PROCESS/PARSE=EXTENDED
RUN yourfilename.sda.exe

Based solely on the filename - and lacking the platform and version and other such -- this is probably not an OpenVMS VAX box, and probably is either an OpenVMS Alpha or an OpenVMS I64 box.

And on the same OpenVMS architecture as what is probably the SDA dump sent in for an investigation and debugging, the above is the usual sequence.