Re: Save set file size

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lionel Liu
Advisor

Save set file size

Hello there,

I use the following command to create a save set file

$ BACKUP/IGNORE=(INTERLOCK)/LABEL=(RSBKUP) DKC0:[000000...]*.*;* MKE500:RS_DAT.SAV/SAVE_SET/NOREWIND/log/block=65024

Then I use the following command to check the save set file size

$mount/ov=id mke500:
$dir mke500:[000000...]*.*/size

it display the RS_DAT.SAV save set file size is 16547 blocks

So the save set file size would be

16547/(2*1024)= 8.07 M

Is that right? For save set file, are they use the same way to calculate the size as the disk file?

thanks

Lionel
16 REPLIES 16
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

each of the 16547 blocks will be 65024 bytes big (compared with the disk block size of 512).

(16547*65024)/(1024*1024*1024) = 1Gb

Lionel,

You should expect your save set to be quite a bit larger than the total size of the files you saved into it, because BACKUP adds error detection and correction codes. 10%-20% larger is probably reasonable.

--Travis Craig
My head is cold.
Lionel Liu
Advisor

Thanks very much for your reply

If I am using the following command without /block=65024

$ BACKUP/IGNORE=(INTERLOCK)/LABEL=(RSBKUP) DKC0:[000000...]*.*;* MKE500:RS_DAT.SAV/SAVE_SET/NOREWIND/log

So the system will use 32256 as default block size

the save set file size would be

16547*32256/(1024*1024)= 509 M

Is that right? 32256 is the system default block size for save set file,correct?

Thanks again

Lionel

Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

Lionel,

For tape the default block size is 8192 bytes. 32256 is the default block size (record size) for disks. See HELP BACKUP /BLOCK_SIZE.

Bojan
Lionel Liu
Advisor

Sorry I get a little bit more confused

Can somebody give me a example how to calculate the disk and save set file size
?

what is the system default block size for disk file and what is the system default block size for save set?

Thanks again

Lionel

Joseph Huber_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Disk-block-size is -in VMS- 512 bytes, so if You have the number of blocks (with directory/size), the file size is nblocks*512 bytes.

For tape files it is in principle the same, just the block-size does vary: file size is nblocks*blocksize bytes.

The block-size of tape files (like savesets), if not known, You can get using DIRECTORY/FULL:
$ mount tape: !NOT mount/foreign
$ directory/full tape:
You get the file-size in blocks , and the record length = blocksize for fixed length records (backup savesets are fixed length records).
http://www.mpp.mpg.de/~huber
Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor

If you're trying to work out how much you can get onto the tape, remember to take into account compaction.

Most drives support compression up to 80%, so if the tape was initialised with /MEDIA=COMPACT, this will have a big effect.

Robert.
Joseph Huber_1
Honored Contributor

For the sake of completeness, why is a directory/full necessary for a save-set on tape, isn't a directory/size enough ?

Directory/size gives the size as number of blocks, but the blocksize is not known.
One can write many savesets to tape, each with different blocksize. So one needs the 'record size' from directory/full to calculate the save-set-size.

http://www.mpp.mpg.de/~huber
Daniel Fernandez Illan
Trusted Contributor

Lionel
You can obtain blocksize using:
Backup/list MKE500:RS_DAT.SAV/SAVE
and see this information on head information of save set file.
Saludos.
Daniel