108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Sharing drives between systems

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mike Smith_33
Super Advisor

Sharing drives between systems

I am trying to share a couple drives from one OpenVMS box to another along the lines of nfs. I have shared out drives to my unix box over nfs with no problem but I don't know how this should be done in VMS. Basic scenario is this, the drive for all intents and purposes, appears to be local to both nodes. No, I don't want to cluster them.

Anybody got any advice?
13 REPLIES 13
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Simple VMS to VMS sharing? Just allow RMS to do transparent network file IO over decnet (over IP).

Commands like:

$DIR other_node::some_disk:[some_dir]

and

$TYPE other_node"username password"::test.txt

Of course there are all sorts of security opens: defaul accounts (not advised), proxies, explicit username/password.

Hein.

Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Mike,

you may even be so lucky, that your network people do not block DECnet.
Then you do not even have to hassle with the DECnet-over-IP config.
A simple DECnet config __IF allowed__, is much simpler.

But after successful config, they work exactly the same.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Mike Smith_33
Super Advisor

The decnet stuff is viable but I was really looking for something more along the lines of nfs. You are right though, that would work.
Doug Phillips
Trusted Contributor

Do both systems have a TCP/IP stack installed? If so, then you probably have NFS available if you need it. But, DECnet is the *natural* way to go VMS to VMS.

Aside from your familiarity with NFS, what advantages do you feel it has over DECnet?
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Mike,
1) you have to enable NFS service
$ @SYS$MANAGER:TCPIP$CONFIG
Choice server component and client component.
2) enter into TCPIP console
$ TCPIP
look at MOUNT command that's like /etc/mount of unix system
TCPIP>HELP MOUNT

Good Luck!

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Mike,

In one of your earlier responses, you mentioned that you were looking for something "DECnet is more viable, but more like NFS".

I may be missing something. What characteristic of NFS is important?

In NFS, most definitely provides client/server access to files. It is by no means "both systems having the drives as local". DECnet transparent file access, properly configured with proxies and logical names, will give essentially the same degree of access. For jollies, I have, on occasion, set my default device to a DECnet-including path, and even done compilations, links, and, executions directly over the DECnet.

It is, for many people, a somewhat unexpected result. It is a direct result of OpenVMS' architectural approach to most things. A file is a file is a file, after all.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Anton van Ruitenbeek
Trusted Contributor

Mike,

If you want security you use DECNet (for sure) and if security isn't such a big deal you can use the IP stuf. We still have to wait for IPv6 if we want some option of security in IP.

On the VMS site you can mount the drive eg:
$ tcpip mount dnfs1: "
NL: Meten is weten, maar je moet weten hoe te meten! - UK: Measuremets is knowledge, but you need to know how to measure !
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

See also the DFS layered product - like NFS but over DECnet and native to VMS.

I need to get more information from the dba. He presented to me something about the checkpoint files that he would be restoring from having hard coded device information in the file so that the device would need to be locally mounted in order for his database restore to work. That is why I felt nfs type mounting might be more appropriate. We currently do some decnet file stuff now as well as nfs between my vms and unix box. I really like the way the vms device appears as a mounted volume on the unix box. You all are correct, the decnet stuff is pretty powerful as well. I had mainly used it by pointing a logical over to a directory and having a proxy to give access.