1752793 Members
6169 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

System restore

nocuser_1

Re: System restore

Ok, I'm trying to find some more details so that hopefully someone can help me get this done.
It only one group of files that I need restored and I know that we use the the backup command utility. we also use tape for our backups.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

nocuser,

>>>
I know that we use the the backup command utility. we also use tape for our backups
<<<

Well, that IS great info!

Now, you have to find your tapes, and find a way to select the correct one.

If that collection is not overly large, load each one of them.
Say your tape drive is Mxxx. (if you know that, fine, otherwise, ASK!! )

$ MOUNT/FOREIGN Mxxx:

$ BACKUP/LIST Mxxx:

Repeat until you have the desired tape.

Tis DOES require quite a lot of patience!

Remember the EXACT spelling of the desired files.
Try to contruct a common wildcard description (or at least a VERY limited set of wildcards)

$ SET MAG/REWIND Mxxx:

If more than one files (savesets) are on the tape, remember the EXACT filename; if just one, use *.*

$ BACKUP Mxxx: /SELECT= /OWNER=ORIGINAL/LO

(be aware of forum text warapping here, YOUR cammand should be single-line)

( the "<" and ">" 's are just description limiters, NOT part of the syntax)

But PLEASE, remember, you ARE playing with fire. If anyway in doubt, FIRST ask here!!!

Success, and good luck!

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe

Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Guenther Froehlin
Valued Contributor

Good chance you are using an archiving tool on your system like ABS/MDMS, Data Protector, Tivoli, Networker...

These are the utilites who know what each save set contains and most likely where it is located.

/Guenther
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

Adding to Jan's advice:

Before you put the tape in the drive, write protect it. Most tapes will have an icon of a closed padlock when the tab is in the correct position.

$ MOUNT/FOREIGN/nounload Mxxx:

The first thing that is displayed after the command is entered should be:

%MOUNT-I-WRITELOCK, volume is write locked

If you see

%MOUNT-I-MOUNTED, TAPELABEL mounted on _MYNODE$MYTAPE:

and you didn't see the WRITELOCK before it, you don't have your tape write protected.

I would recommend that you not proceed until it is write protected.

$ DISMOUNT/UNLOAD Mxxx:

Remove tape and protect the tape.

Repeat previous steps until you see the WRITELOCK message.

When you are restoring from a tape, you don't need write access, and it is a worthwhile bladeguard if you are not familiar with the tools.
it depends
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

nocuser,

As Hoff as said this is a truly open ended question. Please use extreme caution in attempting to restore files.

One of the fundamental rules from physicians is appropriate here: First, Do no harm.

It is far, far simpler to research carefully than it is to recover from a problem.

If there is any doubt, and the admin is not reachable (it is cheaper to make a satellite call to a cruise ship than to fix an error), consider retaining expertise with an in-depth understanding of OpenVMS and its related utilities [Disclosure: We do provide such services].

I for one would far rather invoice a client for a 15 minute or 30 minute consult than do a full system reconstruction taking days.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

By all means: _DO_ follow Jon's advice!

And Bob also has a good point: What WILL be the cost (directly AND indirectly) of some days downtime?

_DO_ try to get in touch with your system manager, at (practicly) ANY price.

And if not possible, you are in the USA, I am in Europe, but eg Hoff, Bob, and Hein (of the frequent visitors here) are in the US, and WELL worth their money.

hth

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
The Brit
Honored Contributor

As you will have gathered from the responses so far, this is not an easy question to answer. However the prime requirement is information.

There are several ways that your backup could be done, either,

1. As Guenther suggested, via a 3rd-party package, (add also ABClient which is a VMS agent for TSM), this method is fairly common, and if this is how you site does this, then the restore will be Product-specific.

2. The backups could be done using OpenVMS native Backup Utility. If this is the method then there are still two clear options,

a) he does the backups manually, i.e. interactively. This is highly unlikely, but if true, then you really dont have anywhere to go except to your Sys Admin since there is no way of knowing what command(s) he used, whether he generated listing, or where he directed the backup save sets.
b) The most likely option is that he does the backups in BATCH mode. If this is the case, then there are probably backup jobs sitting in a batch queue somewhere waiting for the next execution. Cross your fingers, this would be the place to start.

type

$ show queue/batch/all/full/page

read the output carefully. Try to identify the job which is going to do your backup. If you can, then the output also lists the name and location of the command file that it will execute, and the destination/location for the logfile. Note: If there is no specified location for the logfile, then it will be created in the login directory of the user under who's ID the backup job is going to run (assuming that they specified "/NoPrint" (should also show up in the output from the above command).
If they did not specify "/NoPrint", then the log file will be queued to print on the Printer defined by the logical SYS$PRINT. (type SHOW LOGICAL SYS$PRINT to find out which printer that is)

If you have been lucky, then you could now have both the command file used to do the backup (which will tell you where the backups are being directed, tape label names, etc) and also the Log file from previous runs (which should include other interesting stuff)

If you get to this point, then you could refer back to this group to get information on how to interpret commands or logfile output.

Good Luck

Dave.