8446 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

TCPIP$FTP_CLIENT hangs

SOLVED
Go to solution

TCPIP$FTP_CLIENT hangs

Hi,

we have problem with TCPIP Services 5.3-ECO2 running on VMS 7.3-1...

We have several applications on the OpenVMS systems that need to send ASCII-Files to Windows machines sitting in remote locations (in stores, serving till systems).

In the past, we had intermittent problems with sending the files such that TCPIP$FTP_CLIENT enters a state where it hangs and wouldn't die for days if we wouldn't realise (with only one sending application). If we realised, we just stopped the process (most of the times, STOP/ID/IMAGE helped).

Interestingly there was no connection problem to the remote location (e.g. pings, traceroutes and subsequent FTP's worked).

Recently this problem got more severe, causing many other jobs to stall as well. We tried to switch to COPY/FTP/PASSIVE which didn't help.

Checking the process with SHOW PROC/ID/CONT shows that nothing happens (no DIO, BIO, CPU or PC). Checking with SDA, SHOW PROC/CHAN shows, that the process is busy on the BG-device for the ftpdata connection. A TCPIP SHOW DEVICE BGnnn /FULL reveals the following:

Device_socket: bg3003 Type: STREAM
LOCAL REMOTE
Port: 62996 21
Host: 10.20.1.31 10.23.245.31
Service: FTP

RECEIVE SEND
Queued I/O 0 0
Q0LEN 0 Socket buffer bytes 0 0
QLEN 0 Socket buffer quota 61440 61440
QLIMIT 0 Total buffer alloc 0 0
TIMEO 0 Total buffer limit 491520 491520
ERROR 0 Buffer or I/O waits 1 0
OOBMARK 0 Buffer or I/O drops 0 0
I/O completed 17 12
Bytes transferred 658 171

Options: None
State: ISCONNECTED PRIV
RCV Buff: WAIT
SND Buff: None

And the WAIT state irritates me... even though I don't know exactly what it means.

While the process is hanging, the connection to the remote site still works...

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I seeked Google and the ITRC forums, but couldn't find anything!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Best regards,
Matthias DjurkoviC
H&M Germany
16 REPLIES 16
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Re: TCPIP$FTP_CLIENT hangs

Matthias,
it's very hard understand what cause your problem. For my experience, intermittent trouble are due mainly to autonegotiation of hub-switch or NIC.
So, because you have server ftp on windows PC you can fix 100Mbs (or 10Mbs) on Windows NIC. It very simple make it and you don't need reboot neither vms neither PC.
After of this you see if you meet less trouble.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti

Hi Antonio,

thanks for your reply! Anyhow, this wouldn't help, as the network is configured to fixed speeds, both on the OpenVMS box and on the Windows boxes.

If it had something to do with the connection speeds or duplex settings, I suppose the connections wouldn't work at all! But: while TCPIP$FTP_CLIENT hangs, I can ping and even connect to the server on the other side and there is probability that it works the next time that transfer starts!

So long and thanks again!

Matthias
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

Matthias,

found this in Ask Compaq:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/asktima/communications/CTI_SRC020328001915.html

Do you have the TCPIP$FTP_KEEPALIVE logical defined ?

Volker.
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi Matthias,
for my experience FTP meets trouble while other transport work fine.
I don't know why.

However, you need more information about this problem. If your win server are winxp or win2k or win2k3 you can view event register to see any message about connection. In your message you posted send from 1 vms client to many win server. Do you meet trouble with every server? Do you make reverse operation (from windows to vms)?
Do you have other OS in network?

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi Matthias,
if on your PC you have SMC Elite Ultra NIC read here
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;131865

if your PCs have win2k without SP1 read here
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;269425

if your PCs have NT4 without SP4 rea here
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;224793

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti

Hi Volker,

thanks for the article with TCPIP$FTP_KEEPALIVE! I couldn't find it, even though I searched the net...

It seems as if this has worked! We had defined the logical to equal to 1 and today we could see:

%TCPIP-E-FTP_NOTCOPIED, file BO$ROOT:[RTI.RX]BR006572B20.0239A1;1 not copied
-TCPIP-W-FTP_REPLYTEXT, 426 Connection closed; transfer aborted.
%TCPIP-E-FTP_NETERR, I/O error on network device
-SYSTEM-F-CONNECFAIL, connect to network object timed-out or failed
426 Connection closed; transfer aborted.

so this seems to have worked, I'll see it in the coming week when the other jobs work as they should as well!

Thanks again!
Matthias

Hi Antonio,

thanks again for your efforts!

I am pretty sure that it was not solely FTP. Yes, we're connecting to many different NT hosts from the VMS world, but also to some other VMS machines and IBM as well. The problem appears only with Windows-Machines as partner (when I think about it now). The interesting point is: when the problem appeared, it is so that the machine is reachable and even when there is FTP connection stalling other FTP transfers immediately before or after do work! So we were having connection drops on single connections but not the whole line. Btw: it couldn't have been a firewall problem, because the lines are open.

So, I think the article Volker has sent was explaining it pretty good.

Your other findings: no, I don't think we're using SMC NIC's on the servers. I think that there are Intel NIC's running in them, though I am not sure, since I have no access to the windows-boxes and do not manage them.

Thanks again!
So long,
Matthias
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi Matthias,
I'm confused: you see
%TCPIP-E-FTP_NOTCOPIED, file BO$ROOT:[RTI.RX]BR006572B20.0239A1;1 not copied
-TCPIP-W-FTP_REPLYTEXT, 426 Connection closed; transfer aborted.
%TCPIP-E-FTP_NETERR, I/O error on network device
-SYSTEM-F-CONNECFAIL, connect to network object timed-out or failed
426 Connection closed; transfer aborted.
and you post it works :-?

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi,
sorry if I post again ...
Do you transfer file bigger than 4Gb?
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;186101

You can meet trouble even if NT server goes in sleep mode/standby; in this case, NIC wake up the server but answer to sollicited request with delay breaking handshake.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti