Unlikely. The SCS stuff is pretty
fundamental. Also, note the (generally)
empty "Dynamic" column for:

mcr sysgen show scs*
Bill Hall
Honored Contributor

Re: TCPIP host issues

Kendall,

Neither of the SYSGEN parameters are dynamic. If SCSSYSTEMID isn't correct, (DECnet address isn't supposed to be 13.3) you will have to reboot to change SCSSYSTEMID. The changes made by NETCONFIG (NCP) should not directly require a reboot. An Executor address change will require changing the MAC address of the Ethernet adapter. I would expect to have to shutdown and restart the other network protocols running on the server in the case of a MAC address change.

Bill
Bill Hall
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

If you're cleaning up this situation, another item on your checklist should be to verify the second system has it's own licenses properly loaded.

It's a quick and easy way to get from here to there, but you should pay attention and touch all the bases.

Andy
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Hoff
Honored Contributor

If you change SCSNODE, you'll want to follow the rename sequence in the OpenVMS FAQ; the value in SCSNODE gets saved all over the place, and mechanisms such as the queue manager can require some work to restart after the value is changed. SCSNODE can be in device names, startup procedures, LAT, databases, etc. You're basically starting down the path of a nodename change, so you'll want to know what you're in for.

The OpenVMS FAQ is at:
http://64.223.189.234/node/1

This sequence should be easier, but it's not.

Within a cluster, you can change both SCSNODE and SCSSYSTEMID without rebooting the whole cluster, but you can't change only one of these two values; these two values operate as a pair within a cluster. The remaining nodes within a cluster will reject attempts to change one of the two, but will recognize changing both values as the arrival of a wholly new node.

Changing SCSNODE and/or SCSSYSTEMID requires that the local node be rebooted.

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs LLC
p.balamurugan
Advisor

You may not register the node on decnet_register.exe. So verify the decnet id registed on that file.
p.balamurugan
Advisor

you may not register the node name in Decnet_register.exe. So verify that
Hoff
Honored Contributor

p.balamurugan: the original poster is running DECnet Phase IV, as shown in one of the replies.

The DECnet_register tool is a component of the DECnet-Plus (aka DECnet Phase V, or as DECnet/OSI) network environment.

I've certainly never seen nor used this tool on a DECnet Phase IV box; the NCP tool is the primary management interface for Phase IV, and where you register the host and address values.

The scsnode seems to be correct. (output below.

Let me step back for a second. Here is how this all started. I tried to go into CDO and do a directory. I couldnt complaining thet TP_server was not running. I tried to start DTM and it failed due to the fact that the executor is defined as LOTTO1 in NCP. We dont use DECnet here for anything. My goal is to get DTM started so people can use CDD. I ran netconfig and it didnt seem to take .The define statements seemed to run successfully (i didn't get an error)
Do I need to stop and start decnet?

LOTTOA: mcr sysgen
SYSGEN> SHOW SCS
Parameter Name Current Default Min. Max. Unit Dynamic
-------------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ---- -------
SCSBUFFCNT 4000 50 0 32767 Entries
SCSCONNCNT 40 40 2 32767 Entries
SCSRESPCNT 2000 300 0 32767 Entries
SCSMAXDG 576 576 28 985 Bytes
SCSMAXMSG 216 216 60 985 Bytes
SCSFLOWCUSH 1 1 0 16 Credits D
SCSSYSTEMID 13315 0 -1 -1 Pure-numbe
SCSSYSTEMIDH 0 0 -1 -1 Pure-numbe
SCSNODE "LOTTOA " " " " " "ZZZZ" Ascii
SCSICLUSTER_P1 " " " " " " "zzzz" Ascii
SCSICLUSTER_P2 " " " " " " "zzzz" Ascii
SCSICLUSTER_P3 " " " " " " "zzzz" Ascii
SCSICLUSTER_P4 " " " " " " "zzzz" Ascii
SYSGEN>

I ran netconfig with lottoa and 13.3 as parameters . DTM now starts . But when I go and look at executor , it still show lotto1 and 15.1.