Operating System - OpenVMS
1752577 Members
4888 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: TELNET Symbiont Changed Between VMS Versions?

Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor

Jan,
you're barking up the wrong tree, mate.

There are no formfeeds in the datastream, other than those in the file itself.

The problem occurs when setup modules are sent. If I send the data without the modules, there is no blank page.

As I've said, I'm fairly convinced that it is the LF being sent after the setup module that is actually causing the balnk page, because this is seen by the printer as printable data. In v5.1 this LF is not sent.

Rob.
Anton van Ruitenbeek
Trusted Contributor

Robert,

I've posted this before, but I don't see it, so now again (something wrong at W$dozes ?)

I know with previous versions that the logical "UCX/TCPIP$TELNETSYM_ENABLE" was needed. Now I cannot find the value/need for it.
With IP 5.x I don't use this anymore and I don't get this problem. At the web I can even not find the logical again.
Maybe you should consider to remove this, stop/start the queue again (dont forget the /reset).

Manual: 23:
'TELNETSYM adds escape (0xFF) bytes in the data stream so they are not mistakenly interpreted as TELNET protocol IAD commands.'
'TELNETSYM can remove (suppress) any form feeds (0x0c) characters that the OpenVMS print symbiont adds to the beginning or end of print jobs. Use TCPIP$TELNETSYM_SUPPRESS_FORMFEEDS logical name to control this function, as described in Section 23.6.4.1'
And reading this section I think you set a value of 35 or 17.

Yes, still I don't understand the differend interpretation. It is cheap to say, but don't forget it's IP. Some bugs are features.

AvR
NL: Meten is weten, maar je moet weten hoe te meten! - UK: Measuremets is knowledge, but you need to know how to measure !
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Robert,

NOT the same. Delta holds:

"TCPIP$TELNETSYM_ENABLE" = ".1.."

might be a result of different cut-'n-paste, but if not:
What the dots stand for - presumibly non-printable characters. I don't know what this logical does (didn't look it up) but if this system that prints that extra linefeed or causing a formfeed to start (blank page?) you may have found the reason.

Willem
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Willem,

The logicals are defined by the startup procedure (tcpip generate servi).
But normally they are removed after startup (on my version 5.3 eco3).

Maybe startup went wrong ?

Wim
Wim
Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor

OK, restarted IP services, which has got rid of the _enable logical.

Retested printing, but still producing a blank page.

I really honestly and truly think someone has changed the symbiont, possibly without realising the impact.

Rob.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Robert,

You're probably right. But if I was you, I would try the 35 and see if it works. Maybe the old 34 worked incorrectly and worked as 35.

HP should make a web interface where you can select an exe and see al the modifications that are done (within a VMS version). Even the smallest one.

Wim
Wim
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Wim,

For patches this already exists - What exe's have been changed is in patch release notes. The idea to have an interface where the history of chnages in _executables_ could be traced has my approval!

Willem
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Wim, Willem,

if this idea becomes a request and needs supporters: count me in.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Martin Hebron

I think it will work if you retry it.
Martin H
Jeremy Stubbs
Occasional Advisor

There was a change in the past along these lines:

By default TCPIP will add a at the end of each print job , but in cases were a setup module is used at the start of a print job (i.e. to reset the printer ) if the setup module contains non ANSI standard escape sequences TCPIP will insert a additional formfeed between the setup module and the print job.

Really a SETUP module with none ANSI standard escape sequences should be wrapped in EscPEsc\

However a third bit setting was added to the suppress formfeed setting. Thus to retain your previous setting of 34, but also suppress the adding of the FF to the SETUP module you should now set it to 42

34 had bits 5 and 1 set. Setting bit 3 increases this to 42 (i.e add 8)

Hope this helps,

Jed