1752578 Members
5206 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Unable to create files on an NFS filesystem

Paul Goslin
Advisor

Unable to create files on an NFS filesystem

We just acquired a NetApp disk array and we can NFS export a filesystem that will mount on our OpenVMS-8.2 Alpha server. But when I attempt to copy files to it via backup, we see errors:
%BACKUP-E-OPENOUT, error opening DNFS13:[000000]UDD1.CSI;2 as output
-RMS-E-CRE, ACP file create failed
-SYSTEM-F-NOTFILEDEV, device is not file structured
%BACKUP-E-OPENOUT, error opening DNFS13:[000000]UDD2.CSI;2 as output
%BACKUP-E-OPENOUT, error opening DNFS13:[000000]UDD3.CSI;2 as output

Directories get created/copied, but no files.
I mounted it with:
tcpip mount dnfs: diskname1 diskname1/host=10.1.2.200/path=/vol/vol01/write/struc=5

Any suggestions how to get the files copied over from one disk to this NFS mount ?
8 REPLIES 8
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Re: Unable to create files on an NFS filesystem

What is the BACKUP command in use? (/IMAGE?)

What does SHOW DEVICE /FULL DNFS13: show?

Do the DIRECTORY or COPY commands work?

Was a /SYSTEM or /SHARE mount intended?

Is the box current on VMS and TCP/IP Services patches?

Can you confirm you've gone through the client configuration and ADF and proxy set-up with:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/83final/6526/6526pro_052.html#nfs_client_chap
Paul Goslin
Advisor

Backup command used: backup dkb0:[000000...] dnfs15:

Output of show dev dnfs15:/full
Disk DNFS15:, device type Foreign disk type 7, is online, mounted, file-oriented
device, shareable, accessed via DFS or NFS.

Error count 0 Operations completed 109
Owner process "" Owner UIC [SYSTEM]
Owner process ID 00000000 Dev Prot S:RWPL,O:RWPL,G:RWPL,W:RWPL
Reference count 1 Default buffer size 512
Total blocks 4718592 Sectors per track 0
Total cylinders 0 Tracks per cylinder 0

Volume label "DISK1.1" Relative volume number 0
Cluster size 0 Transaction count 1
Free blocks unknown Maximum files allowed 0
Extend quantity 0 Mount count 1
Mount status System ACP process name "DNFS15ACP"

Volume Status: ODS-5, access dates enabled.

Directory command shows directories only since no files get created.. Don't know the proper syntax to copy files to the filesystem..
No /system or /share option on mount...
I will readup on the link provided...
Thanks...
Hoff
Honored Contributor

For the COPY command, the command structure is:

$ COPY from to

For example:

$ COPY sys$login:login.com DNFS13:[000000]login.com

At its simplest, I'd expect to use the BACKUP command:

$ BACKUP ddcu:[here...]*.* ddcu:[there...]*.*

BACKUP is not a good choice as a testing tool; it tends to be a rather cryptic command.

If you're using this NAS device as an archival storage device, I might well look to use zip "-V" the directories and files locally first, then ftp (gag) or sftp the zip archive file over to the device.

NFS also has its own sorts of flakiness, too. Don't try to use file sharing, for instance (the VMS NFS client is way too old, and lacks the NFSv4 locking support), and make sure the ADF stuff matches your expectations.
Paul Goslin
Advisor

We're attempting to replace an older EMC raid box that is currently connected via a SCSI cable. None of the currently available storage systems offer SCSI interfaces anymore, only network and fibre, this Alpha server only has SCSI and network connectivity... Any suggestions ??
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

>>Any suggestions ??

Buy a fibre channel card or two. What model Alphaserver is this?
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Paul Goslin
Advisor

It's an Alpha Server 4000, we also have a 4100 and a couple of Alpha Server 1000As... Who would make fiber cards for these old DEC machines ??
Hoff
Honored Contributor

The storage folks have been pushing fibre channel gear for years, and it does have its uses. But it's also more complex, more management, more expensive, and (in current I/O terms) it's not all that fast.

Here? For a couple of vintage EV56-class Alpha boxes?

Boatloads of used SCSI gear are available on the market.

I've been tossing used DEC and Compaq SCSI gear onto these boxes for years, and it's (given the vintage and the relatively low storage capacity) a cheap upgrade. An old 4354R shelf with six or fourteen 76 gigabyte drives or later, or whatever... (The '54R series can get you dual-host, if your existing SCSI controllers will permit that, too.)

Or you go with an old in-board or out-board RAID controller, if you need that capability with your storage.

This is (all) fossil-vintage gear, servers and storage.

Or swap out the old StorageWorks bricks that tend to be in the shelves of these old servers for some "larger" drives.

HP has (had?) at least one MSA-class SCSI box available, too. MSA30, IIRC. That's a shelf. I'd be tempted to try the MSA500, if I had one spare; that's a SCSI connection, and VMS deals pretty well with that even if it's officially unsupported.

If you wanted to roll your own "newer" storage, there are SCSI to SATA disk adapters ("bridges" or "converters" or other such terms are used, too) available for small cost. That'll require some testing, and carefully staying below the one tebibyte addressing limit of OpenVMS V8.2.

The ither usual wrinkle with these boxes and remote storage is the comparatively glacial speed of the typical Alpha network controller. The 100 Mbps Ethernet just isn't that fast. (Compared with that, even the 2 Gb FC HBAs look good, but...)

Malcolm Wade
Valued Contributor

I have been doing this for a few years now; in fact I store my VMS Layered Product distribution on an NetApp based NFS (ODS-2) mount so use backup to get the files on it with no issues.

My VMS v8.4 mount command is:

$ QUALS = "/BACKGROUND /TRANS=UDP /PROC=UNIQUE /RETRIES=4 /TIMEOUT=::10"
$!
$ TCPIP MOUNT DNFS1: 'QUALS' VMS_KITS VMS_KITS -
/HOST=hostname /PATH="/vol/media/openvms/" /BACKGROUND /SUPERUSER

The /TRANS=UDP is new for v8.4 but maybe trying to use ODS-5 is an issue?

ODS-2 has always worked for me ...

Malcolm