108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VMS ZIP 2.2

SOLVED
Go to solution
Terry Yeomans
Frequent Advisor

VMS ZIP 2.2

My problem is that I am trying to ZIP (v2.2) up a file in VMS (7.3-1) but it always fails stating that the input file is missing.
Command is ZIP output.zip input.dat
The file is sequential and is over 6 million blocks. We have not had any problems on any of the other files tried, only this one (although they are a lot smaller).
I have tried to zip out to a disk with 52 million blocks free, but to no avail.
Has anybody had any similar problems or do I need to get ZIP v2.3 installed to see what happens ?
Yours hopefully Terry.
4 REPLIES 4
Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: VMS ZIP 2.2

Terry, I receive emails from the InfoZIP group, and from what I can see the maximum supported size is 2GB (4 million blocks).

Version 3.0 is due out imminently, and may allow larger sizes.

See http://www.info-zip.org/FAQ.html#limits for more info.

Rob.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

You probably have hit a 32 bit = 2GB limit when your input became bigger then 4 million blocks. That would be a ZIP problem using lame fseek's and ftell's, not an OpenVMS (RMS) problem.
Any solution (other then chopping the file into manageable 2Gb chunks) woudl need to come from ZIP.

Check out stuff like:
http://www.info-zip.org/FAQ.html#limits

You may want to try 2.3 or PKZIP.

You might be able to work around that by piping input into zip. (Or is that Unix only?)

fwiw,
Hein.
Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor

Terry - I lie....the maximum is actually 4GB, so that's thrown that one out.

Have you tried simple tests like switching on all privileges and upping your account quotas?

The only problem I've seen of this nature is a 'disk full' error when zipping, although the disk has loads of space on it.

Rob.
Terry Yeomans
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Robert and Hein. After visiting the site it gave me the info I needed.
It looks like I'll have to wait for v3.0 or use a getaround !
Yours Terry.