Operating System - OpenVMS
1753354 Members
5059 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Vax Console Input not Enabled

Glenn_D

Sorry if my attachments were not politically correct. I'm a technician with Unix, Linux, Windows, DOS, OpenVMs, IOS and GE and Siemens PLCs. Not an expert at anything, just working on a problem.
I have several of these Vax 4000-100 systems running, each with VT520 consoles. I can move this boot drive from one to another and the problem moves with the drive. I can boot another drive in this machine and everything works, so I'm fairly certain that it is a login/startup file type problem. The machine has a login.com file that sets the terminal to a vt200, yet OPA0 boots up as an LA36. Can't find where that comes from.
Anyway, I work a swing shift and am working off. I'll post the attachments and get back on it next week. Thanks for help and guidance!
Glenn_D

Seems that I can only attach one file per session
Glenn_D

The login.com file
Hoff
Honored Contributor

The console terminal is "owned" by a process, which means you won't be able to log in until the device is freed up.

The owner process is listed as 00000104.

SHOW PROCESS /ID=104 /ALL

will tell you which process it is.

It's common to see OPCOM here. That's the error I mentioned earlier.

There have been cases back in this version range where the console can be owned by a non-existant process, which means that SHOW command will generate an error.

First stop is probably the mandatory ECOs.

Start at:

ftp://ftp.itrc.hp.com

And navigate through the links for the OpenVMS VAX V7.3 patches. Here are some pages that can help you decode the terms and concepts here:

http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/348
http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/570

If your OpenVMS VAX box has network connectivity outward to the network, you can fetch files from DCL directly using command-line FTP or via the FTP utility.

http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/136

If you're more familiar with the Unix-style ftp utility, that too is available. (If there's an IP stack installed, and given you're connected from a Microsoft Windows box, that appears likely - IP is typical here, but a few boxes back in this era also had DECnet connectivity with Windows.)

The console ownership error is usually resolved by applying the "current" patches for this OpenVMS VAX V7.3 configuration.

As for which patches you need here, there's usually a "master listing" of patches stored in a text file in the directory.

I've attached the basic patch sequence as a text file and (at the end, where I use the unzip command to see what's in that) you'll RUN the ZIPEXE file to get the text file. That'll give you a flavor of what to expect.

Also at the end of the file, you'll see what the SHOW PROCESS /ID command for the local OPCOM process looks like.

(The example was from an Alpha, so there are various display differences.)
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Glen,

this is the problem:

Owner process ID 00000104

If OPA0: has a channel assigned or is owned by ANY process, you cannot login on OPA0:

Please first find the owner process with the process-id of 104

$ SHOW SYSTEM/ID=104

You can verify, that that process has a channel assigned to OPA0:

$ ANAL/SYS
SDA> SET PROC/IND=104
SDA> SHOW PROC/CHAN

... look for OPA0: in Device/File accessed column.

SDA> EXIT

Then look at your other systems, if there also is a process with that name.

Before you consider installing patches, try to verify the problem first. I couldn't find any mention of OPCOM or OPA0: in the OpenVMS VAX V7.3 patch description .TXT files.

Volker.

P.S. you could have easily put the output of all 3 commands into one .TXT file and attached that file.