Operating System - OpenVMS
1752805 Members
5489 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Virtual address space when running a C language image

Virtual address space when running a C language image

Environment: OpenVMS 7.3-2 Alpha and HP C 6.5.

Assumptions: A C program which uses malloc() and calloc() and free(), and which does not execute user-coded system calls to create and delete memory regions.

Are there circumstances under which the virtual address space be reduced while the program image is executing? Or does free() merely make the freed memory available for other use by the program?

I know that the working set size can be reduced if it has been expanded beyond the default. I have not found anything in the docs (or the forums) which says explicitly that it might or it will not happen.

Thanks for enlightenment!
15 REPLIES 15
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

>> Are there circumstances under which the virtual address space be reduced while the program image is executing?

No, not really.
If the program did $EXPREG (directly or indirectly through $CRMPSC) then the system can shrink on detach if (and only if) it is the highest memory address in use.You can $DETLVA the space and re-use but it will not really shrink the address range.

>> Or does free() merely make the freed memory available for other use by the program?

Yes, Malloc gets from a pool and expands that pool as needed. (LIB$GETVM --> $EXPREG)
FREE gives back to the pool, but not back to the system

>> I know that the working set size can be reduced if it has been expanded beyond the default. I have not found anything in the docs (or the forums) which says explicitly that it might or it will not happen.

If you know the freeed memory will not be re-allocated for different purposes then you coudl call $ADJWSL to trim low usage pages from the working set, hopefully inclusive of that freed memory. That will make PHYSICAL memory available to other usages, but will not help reduce VIRTUAL memory space.

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/732FINAL/4527/4527pro.html#jun_31

Is there any particular problem you are trying to solve?

Regards,
Hein van den Heuvel
HvdH Performance Consulting.

Thanks, Hein!

I started from a question asked by a customer -- whether if he created an object which is larger than any he will actually use, and then reused the object, he could be sure that after he started his program (and had created the object) he could be sure he would not see an increase in memory. The subsequent discussion implied that he didn't want it to shrink and expand back to that size. Limiting the working set and/or page file quota, which is done to the process rather than the image, is viewed as unsatisfactory.

(Of course, the answer necessarily depends on what else the program does.)

The available statistics are more limited than one might wish. Peak virtual address is provided, but that doesn't help with the current status of the currently running image. I was aware of the possibility of changes, both up and down, in physical memory footprint via the working set. But I was unsure about page file or swap file space required during image execution. And I failed to find it in the docs. Thus the question.

I was told that on some of the platforms supported by our product, the high water mark of memory size becomes the minimum for the program, but that on other platforms memory is reclaimed. I lack specifics.

Thanks very much!
Hoff
Honored Contributor

The OpenVMS LIBRTL virtual memory calls that are used by the C RTL tend to grow process virtual address space (VAS), as the calls save the last deallocation for an immediate reallocation; you'll tend to see the process VAS grow over time. You won't typically see VAS decrease; not with the normal C allocation and deallocation sequence. This based on what the C RTL and LIBRTL engineers have indicated over the years.

LIBRTL does work to coalesce the heap storage where it can, but VM zones and other such knowledge that can be embedded by the application programmer can make this whole process much more efficient. And as Hein writes, you just won't see the C RTL or any other calls into the LIBRTL giving back VAS. (Well, except on process rundown.)

C and LIBRTL have certainly gotten (far) better about how the code manages VAS, but I've almost always found it more appropriate to code my own application specific memory routines using the LIB$*VM* routines. There are other reasons to avoid the direct use of malloc and free, in favor of centralizing calls. Not the least of which involves troubleshooting issues with heap corruptions.

The C standard library memory management calls are good and useful, but can be too generic larger applications. The LIB$*VM* calls are far better here, particularly if you can code some knowledge into the calls and memory management.

There are some common coding techniques, too, such as using a specific VM zone for temporary memory, that can simplify deallocating transient memory. You can flush the whole zone near, say, the main command processing code (for a command-oriented tool), and not have to deal with tracking of individual allocations. And the LIB$*VM* calls have usage statistics and zone verification routines, which the C API lacks. Etc...

John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Susan,

> whether if he created an object which is
>larger than any he will actually use, and
>then reused the object, he could be sure
>that after he started his program (and had
>created the object) he could be sure he
>would not see an increase in memory

You need to be fairly careful when dealing with large objects intermixed with small orders. There's a phenomenon called "checkerboarding" where the "wrong" sequence of allocations and deallocations can result in continual growth of virtual memory, even though the application is correctly deallocating everything it allocates. This occurs if a small allocation request is satisfied as a chunk of a large deallocated object, leaving a free chunk that isn't big enough to satisfy another large request. Worst case, you accumulate chunks of memory that aren't quite the right size.

There is no single allocation algorithm that is optimal for all memory use patterns.

If you understand the memory usage of your application, you can use multiple free lists to manage memory in an application specific manner. Using Hoff's advice to centralise allocation/deallocation allows you to track usage, hide the application specific logic, and easily modify your strategies if they're not working.
A crucible of informative mistakes
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Also note that malloc will not give you the memory but only the right to use it. The pages are allocated at the time you dirty your pages (=fill it).

Wim
Wim
GuentherF
Trusted Contributor

"...which is larger than any he will actually use, and then reused the object, he could be sure that after he started his program (and had created the object) he..."

What's the point here? The state of the object's virtual address space after an image restart? Influence on the process' working set when the image is restarted?

/Guenther
Hoff
Honored Contributor

re: memory allocation and virtual memory and paging

Really? Can you confirm that?

I'd expect malloc (and technically the librtl VM calls that provide the actual malloc code) has to read and then fill in the heap linkages, so the page(s) involved are already instantiated, and have arrived in the working set from the free list. AFAIK, malloc can't defer this heap-pointer update task. So at least part of the allocation and its underlying memory page will be in the working set, and valid, and will have already been modified.

When such is required, the malloc code (via librtl) invokes the create virtual address space and the expand region calls and that allocate and instantiate address space. But by the time malloc completes, I'd expect the process virtual address space (image virtual memory) to be enlarged if and as needed, and to have mapped that virtual memory to physical memory, and to have the physical memory faulted into the working set, and fully valid. And at least some of the virtual memory immediately near the user-allocated portion of the region -- the heap linkages -- would be modified, and eventually flushed out to the pagefile or (if you're running your own heap) whatever backing storage is in use, if the memory was then faulted out.

It's these nearby heap pointers that tend to get stomped on, and why there are regular references to malloc and free discussions over in the ancient OpenVMS Ask The Wizard area, and recommendations for "fenceposts" and direct calls to the librtl VM routines.

If you turn on the system diagnostics, the user contents of the heap can be modified on allocation and deallocation. See the POOLCHECK parameter and its bitmask for that. Use POOLCHECK with great caution; it's a reserved or special parameter, and other code can have strange behaviors. Once in a while somebody'd enable POOLCHECK and trip over something odd or wrong completely elsewhere.

I tend to use the librtl VM services directly, as that gives me very direct control over the initialization of the memory. The librtl VM services can initialize newly-allocated memory, and can overwrite newly-deallocated memory. Very handy for spotting a whole class of heap-related bugs. And the librtl VM services affect only my own application image's heap with functions such as the pattern overwrites, and the heap linkage verification calls.

GuentherF
Trusted Contributor

As simple as that?

Q: Does calling free() reduce a process' virtual memory usage?

A: No! Never!

Q: Does calling free() reduce a process' physical memory usage?

A: No! Never!

But I smell some more behind the customer's question. Maybe just a misunderstanding.

/Guenther
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Hoff : on an AS 500 with 7.3.

At DCL prompt : WS 16000 used 1440, VM 33840 used, Phys.mem 12369 free.

Run, pause after malloc of 51.200.000 bytes : WS 16000 used 2720, VM 141248 used, PM 12331 free.

Continue until filled with 1's : WS 37600, used 37024, VM 141248 used, PM 6084 free.

I interprete this as : added to VM but not to the working set (except for the overhead).

Wim
Wim