Operating System - OpenVMS
1751979 Members
4538 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: When one node of the OpenVMS cluster shutdown, other cluster node also fail to work.

albert000
Advisor

When one node of the OpenVMS cluster shutdown, other cluster node also fail to work.

Dear all: I have configured a 2-nodes OpenVMS cluster as follows: $ SH CLUSTER View of Cluster from system ID 1025 node: HWNOD1 19-SEP-2016 09:30:47 +-----------------------+---------+ | SYSTEMS | MEMBERS | +--------+--------------+---------+ | NODE | SOFTWARE | STATUS | +--------+--------------+---------+ | HWNOD1 | VMS V8.4 | MEMBER | | HWNOD2 | VMS V8.4 | MEMBER | +--------+--------------+---------+ For HWNOD1, it uses a san storage as system disk. For HWNOD2, it use local disk as system disk. When the cluster starts up, the disk information shows as follows: $ SH DEV D Device Device Error Volume Free Trans Mnt Name Status Count Label Blocks Count Cnt $1$DGA1: (HWNOD1) Mounted 0 HWNOD1 153011360 358 1 $1$DGA2: (HWNOD1) Online 0 $1$DGA3: (HWNOD1) Online 0 $1$DGA8: (HWNOD1) Online 0 $1$DGA9: (HWNOD1) Online 0 $1$DGA23: (HWNOD1) Online 0 $5$DKA100: (HWNOD1) Online 0 $5$DKA200: (HWNOD1) Mounted 0 (remote mount) 1 $5$DNA0: (HWNOD1) Offline 0 $5$DNA1: (HWNOD1) Online wrtlck 0 $1$DGA1 is the system disk. $1$DGA3 is the quorum disk. However each time when I shutdown one cluster node, the other node will fails to response any command. It will hangs any command I have entered until the shutdowned node starts up again. Could you tell me how to solve this problem? BR TONG
3 REPLIES 3
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: When one node of the OpenVMS cluster shutdown, other cluster node also fail to work.

Please use Post Options (on right) > Edit Reply to clean up your post and format it better, so it can be read.

abrsvc
Respected Contributor

With both systems running, use the SHOW CLUSTER/CONTINUOUS command.

WIth the display working, type: ADD VOTES

What you will see is that the cluster wants 2 votes to work and each node contributes 1 vote.  Shutting down one node will result in a total vote count of 1 hwhich is not enough for the cluster to work.  You need to add a quorum disk.  See the cluster configuration documentation for how to do this.

Dan

albert000
Advisor

Dear Dan:

Thanks very much for your reply.

I open a new case in this links:

/t5/System-Management/cluster-node-hangs-when-another-node-shutdown/m-p/6899759

I have added a quorum disk in the cluster. and the expected_vote is set to 2.

EXPECTED_VOTES 2 1 1 127 Votes
VOTES 1 1 0 127 Votes
DISK_QUORUM "$1$DGA3 " " " " " "ZZZZ" Ascii

for detail information, please refer to the above link.

Thanks very much.

BR

TONG