1753383 Members
5848 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Why shadow copy ?

Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Why shadow copy ?

Cluster of 2 * 4000 with a HSZ50 controller.
OpenVMS 6.2 1H3.

I shut node 1, 20 seconds later node 2.
Both ended by dismounting the disks without any files open (except system disk).

I rebooted them with 2 seconds between the 2 b commands.

All disks are in shadow merge.

Why ?

Wim
Wim
31 REPLIES 31
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: Why shadow copy ?

Any pagefile or installed images on the disks?

There have been some, well, 'holes' in the dismount code, if I recall correctly.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Uwe,

Pagefile is open but not on ALL disks.
Where the dismounts to close to one another ?

Wim
Wim
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

If the code worked properly, then there should not be any race conditions.

Do you use any host-based RAID software except volume shadowing
(the striping driver for example)?
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Wim,

if the transaction count (SHOW DEV D) on the disk is 1, it should dismount cleanly. You could add an appropriate SHOW DEV D command into SHUTDOWN.COM before the final DISMOUNT command. I once even added a SHOW DEV/FILES disk, IF F$GETDVI(disk,"TRANSCNT") .GT. 1 - you need to watch/capture the output of SHUTDOWN.COM to see, which disks would still have open files.

You cannot cleanly dismount a disk with a page-/swapfile installed. DISMOUNT is a synchronous command, so they can't be 'too close to one another'.

The HSZ50 is connected to a shared SCSI bus, so the disks are 'local' to each system, right ?

Volker.
Robert_Boyd
Respected Contributor

I would have to say that I often had that kind of experience with V6.2 systems.

Later versions 7.2 and following have been much better. I would say for V6.2 that you need to allow at least 1 minute between them, possibly more. Or you could do the cluster shutdown -- but that always seemed to take forever for the final handshakes to complete.

Robert
Master you were right about 1 thing -- the negotiations were SHORT!
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Uwe : no host based raid.

Volker : I do capture a show dev/fi of every disk. Nothing is open except indexf. Don't do a sh dev d yet. Yes, shared scsi.

Wim
Wim
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Wim,

can you test this in the running system ? Try a DISM DSAx: on one of the shadowsets from both systems and then mount the shadowset again with the same command as in SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM - what happens ?

Volker.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Volker,

I have to wait until the merge is finished.

Wim
Wim
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Volker,

Tried to do a dismount dsa14 a few seconds after the merge completed. The command hangs and is not reacting to control_y.
After a few minutes : the device dsa14 is in mntverifytimeout but normally accessable from the other node. Dismount still active (or better nonactive).

Wim
Wim