108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: back to back cluster

SOLVED
Go to solution
Edgar Ulloa
Frequent Advisor

back to back cluster

I have a lan cluster, Hp give me a suggestion, connect my nodes back to back (card- cross cable - card)

when I connect the nodes phisicly, what I need to do for my cluster know the new connection..?

the connection will be detect automacly..?

how I configure tcp or decnet IV for this conection..?

any command or comment..?

Thanks for your help
16 REPLIES 16
Mike Reznak
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

cluster concepts.

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/82FINAL/6318/6318PRO.HTML

or folders for older version of OpenVMS.

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/os82_index.html

Mike
...and I think to myself, what a wonderful world ;o)
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

The principle is almost too simple:
1. Load the required licenses on both machines (don't forget the CLUSTER license)
2. Make the physical connection.
3. Run the CLUSTER$CONFIG procedure on one machine. Here, you CREATE the cluster, giving it a name, number and password.
4. Reboot machine # 1
5. Run the CLUSTER$CONFIG procedure on the other machine and JOIN the cluster. Here, you specify number and password of the cluster to join.
6. Reboot machine # 2

and you're done.

And since it's VMS (well designed) there is no need for DECNet nor TCPIP (Cluster communication uses a separate protocol).

There are quite a number of things to consider if you want to take advantage of all facilities a VMS cluster offers (there is a whole manual about cluster configurations), but this is the base of all. Once it took me about 15 minutes ;-)
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
David Jones_21
Trusted Contributor

I'd only do this if both machines have 2 more ethernet adapters and then configure all non-cluster protocols only on the other adapters. Otherwise it gets messy because 1 machine would have to act as a router for the other.

Considering the time it takes some managed ethernet switches to boot, having a direct ethernet connection for LAVC can make the cluster more robust. The machines shouldn't have any problem finding themselves over the dedicated link.
I'm looking for marbles all day long.
Edgar Ulloa
Frequent Advisor

Its necesary assembly again the cluster..?

right now the cluster is assembled and runing, but its only lan cluster.

If I wan connect back to back for hardbit I need rebuild again with cluster_configure?

Thanks for your comments
David Jones_21
Trusted Contributor

VMS configures all ethernets it sees for cluster traffic by default, so you don't need to redo cluster_config to get it to work.
I'm looking for marbles all day long.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Edgar,

so, you HAVE an existing cluster:

- Shutdown
- do the physical instal
- reboot

The cluster will automagically use all available interconnects.

(if you would venture and succeed in installing the new connection in the RUNNING cluster, even the reboot would not be necessary! )

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

If the two nodes already use the LAN for cluster traffic then there is no reconfiguration required.

Are the nodes connected to a network switch/hub/other and you plan to replace this with a simple cable?

Edgar,

If I understand yours situation, you have two configured cluster nodes in lan cluster. Each node has two or more lan adapters. One of these adapters on each node is free (not connected).

If this is correct just connect the cross cable betwen the adapters and you are done. The connection will be detected automaticaly.

Bojan
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

Edgar,

Bojan is correct, if you have open network ports you just need to connect them. The cluster will automatically begin to use the new path for SCS (cluster) traffic.

You do need to make sure the ports are both configured for the same speed and duplex settings. You can use the LANCP utility for this.

$ MCR LANCP SHOW DEVICE
$ MCR LANCP SET DEVICE EIB0/SPEED=100/FULL_DUPLEX
$ MCR LANCP DEFINE DEVICE EIB0/SPEED=100/FULL_DUPLEX

Note for your networking team, you don't want a second VLAN on the same hardware the primary network interfaces are connected to. This is a redundant path to ensure cluster availability. For two nodes a cross over cable will do the job. For more than two nodes, you need to have a redundant network connection, either a switch or hub.

Andy
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net