5781 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: cc (COMPAQ C V6.5) default warning level

berlioz
Regular Advisor

cc (COMPAQ C V6.5) default warning level

Hello,

i've recently migrating an application from an Alpha OpenVMS 6.1 (c version ?) to an Alpha OpenVMS 7.2-3 server with COMPAQ C V6.5 compiler.

When re-compiling existing source on the new machine i've "noisy" warning or information message.

Is ther a way to define "default" warning level for that compiler ? in a special conf file ?

thanks in advance for all
Philippe
5 REPLIES 5
Craig A Berry
Honored Contributor

Not that I'm aware of, and those warnings usually mean something that you really ought to pay attention to and fix in your code. If you must, I suppose you could define a symbol for the CC command that restricts your warning level to something less than the default:

$ cc :== "cc/warnings=level2"

See

$ help cc/warnings

for more information on the warning levels. If there is a standard header file that everything in your application includes, you can control the warnings with "#pragma message".
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

the warnings produced by the compiler are worth reading and trying to fix. The newer compiler is trying to be helpful.

>>>Alpha OpenVMS 7.2-3

impressive ! I have never seen that version

:-)

learn something new every day, and you will be happy :-)
berlioz
Regular Advisor

7.3-2 of course... labadie it's new year, i give you 1 point ! lol !
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Philippe,
I'm with Ian. New compiler makes useful checks. If you look at them you'll be able to avoid some potential bugs; e.g. new compiler check for casting pointer and variable size. Also it warn you all unused local parameters and variables.
I know it's a very bored job but it's very useful.

Wish you Happy New Year!
Antonio Vigliotti

Antonio Maria Vigliotti