5186 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: cpu load command

dodger_1
Occasional Advisor

cpu load command

Hi Guys,

i'm searching for a command to get the cpu-load while i run manymany command-scripts (at the same time) against my database - i'm on a openvms itanium system - OpenVMS 8.3 ...

4xdualCore Processors... so, a DCL command with smp-statistical information would also be very nice...

i searched many times, but i didn't found any thread ...

i know the "system dump analyzer", but i don't know how to use it, to get a information about the percentage-cpu-load while my commands are running...

thanks and best greets!!
Simon
7 REPLIES 7
Duncan Morris
Honored Contributor

Simon,

have a look at the various MONITOR options.

Try:

$ mon sys
$ mon sys/all
$ mon clu (even for standalone nodes)
$ mon disk

Lots of options available!

$ mon help monitor

Duncan
Jess Goodman
Esteemed Contributor

Have you checked out the MONITOR utility?

$ MONITOR SYSTEM
$ MONITOR MODES
$ MONITOR PROCESS /TOPCPU
I have one, but it's personal.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

>> i'm searching for a command to get the cpu-load

That data is available through the $GETRMI system API. This is not available as a lexical, but easy enough to create a C/Macro program to do so (Send some monies or beer :-)

I would recommend either MONITOR /OUT to capture the data you need, or learn to use T4, to grab this data (callected by monitor).

>> so, a DCL command with smp-statistical information would also be very nice...

Just using DCL you would have to walk the PID's and use F$GETJPI to accumulate and sort out some CPU (kernel, exec, user, total...) data and any other per process process stats you might care about (BUFIO, DIRIO, FAULTS,.. no lock data :-( available )

Good luck!
Hein van den Heuvel
HvdH Performance Consulting.
dodger_1
Occasional Advisor

Hey, super!

no, i didn't know that tool ... i'll try and let you know about my experiences...

best greets,
Simon
Hoff
Honored Contributor

The MONITOR utility (and MONITOR can record data), the T4 tools (which are built on MONITOR), the Availability Manager (or the older AMDS) tools, or you can more directly instrument the OpenVMS environment using system service calls including sys$getrmi and sys$getjpi[w] and such, depending on what detail(s) you are looking to investigate.

The decuslib.com site has the OpenVMS Freeware disks and a rather large collection of source code for OpenVMS, and there are tools such as EPM over there.
dodger_1
Occasional Advisor

i love this people here ... thanks... you have to give me a little bit of time, to get an overview of my possibilities =)

SiJa, Simon
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

See this link for T4, http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/products/t4/index.html, it provides an overall view of the system including memory and IO. Monitor is one of the data collectors for T4, using the /RECORD. You can also replay the raw monitor file which T4 collected for the graphic play by play.

Availability Manager http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/products/availman/index.html provides a driver which allows a remote system to see real time system behavior. More importantly, it flags quota issues and allows fixes. Some of the default warning levels should be adjusted to modern system.

Andy Bustamante
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net