108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: how to change clustersize of systemdisk

SOLVED
Go to solution
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

hein>> For all the plain SEQUENTIAL files you can simple use SET FILE/TRUNCATE.

willem> Why this distinction? I mean: strictly sequential I can image clearly, but I don't understand why it wouldn't work with indexed and relative files. These have more allocated than used as well.

Sorry... a bit late in replying. Well, basically the EOF for indexed files is not reliable and ignored by the RMS indexed file access code. It's just a hint, more or less maintained by convert and RMS. The truncate command knows this:
-SET-E-NOTRUNC, truncation not allowed for this file organization

I thought I remembered the EOF for relative file also to be sub-ordinate to a maximum record number, but SET FILE /TRUN does not complain for those. Still, I'd avoid mucking about with them. THey are pretty rarely used anyway no?

willem> What about executables and libraries?

No problem truncate as need be.

Hein.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

The trouble with BACKUP/NOINIT creating over-allocated files, and thereafter with afragmented disk after SET FILE/END, can be avoided very simple, easier, and quicker:
in the BACKUP command add; /TRUNCATE
It just looks like a plain, simple, straightforward, old-fashioned VMS-solution; and that is exactly what it is
;<)
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Ok, might give a nice, unfragmented disk (if it works for indexed files as well). Keep that in mind.

BTW: How do I get rid of the scattered free space? DFU doesn't do defragmentation of free space. Just a matter of "COPY " and purge?

(bedankt Jan, had ik eerder moeten weten)
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager