6707 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: how to open por number in VMS

IFX_1
Frequent Advisor

how to open por number in VMS

Hi All,
For example one of printer require port# 2099, how can I enable this port to that printer? Is the port 2099 is already enable by default or still needs to enable?

Apprecaite your help.
Thanks.

regards,
ronald
5 REPLIES 5
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

If the symbiont is a telnetsym, you specify the port number yourself.

As in /autostart=(node::"ip_name:2099")

Wim
Wim
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

and of course, if a specific software takes care of that port, you start the service: for the port 515, configure and start the service lpd, with tcpip$config
IFX_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi WIM,
That is for the printer, how if I have another application that requires, let's say, port # 2010 -- do I need to enable this port? How to enable port number in VMS?
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

In Vms there is not a file where you comment or uncomment port numbers, you must have a program listening that port, and it is usually a service (tcpip sh service).
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Ronald,

The 2099 is indeed for the printer. On VMS you will get random-port on VMS to 2099 on printer. VMS can still have incoming connections on 2099, if an application has a listener for this port.

If you use LPD for printing you can have incoming an outgoing LPD connections. It is undocumented (for me) how to specify the portnumber for outgoing connection. I've read some articles and have the impression that it is implementation specific (e.g. lpd_port in printcap file).

Wim
Wim