108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: keepalive for UCX 4.2

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rajarshi Gupta
Frequent Advisor

keepalive for UCX 4.2

I think I have mixed up the parameters of TCPIP and UCX in my previous thread. I am interested for the UCX 4.2 parameters regarding the keepalive option. How to findout whether keepalive option is enabled or not in UCX 4.2 . Also how to enable / disable the keepalive. Could anyone provide any document / manual on UCX 4.2 explaining the keepalive functionality and differect parameters for this.
10 REPLIES 10
Daniel Fernandez Illan
Trusted Contributor

Hi
See this link with documentation of UCX version 4.2

http://www.openvms-rocks.com/docs/network/tcpip42/

Saludos.
Daniel.
Daniel Fernandez Illan
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hi
Otherv solution is use
UCX> HELP set SERVICE/SOCKET
to obtain information about keepalive option
Saludos.
Daniel.
Rajarshi Gupta
Frequent Advisor

I tried -
UCX SET SERVICE TELNET/SOCKET_OPTION=NOKEEPALIVE ...

There was no error for the command execution. But still it is showing the keepalive in the output of -

show service telnet/full ..

How to switch this off and then how to confirm it?

Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Rajarshi,

if you want to change the attributes of a running service, you have to stop and restart that service.

NOTE: if you stop the TELNET service, all active TELNET sessions to your system will be aborted and the users will be logged off !

Volker.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

did you disable then enable the telnet service after setting the option?

Hi,
There are two more parameters for socket connection SEND & RECEIVE, which has values 3000 each. Do we need to make this value null to make the NOKEEPALIVE parameter effective. Which parameter decided the time for KEEPALIVE option.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Rajarshi,

$ UCX HELP SET SERVICE/SOCKET_OPTIONS shows, that these are the send and receive socket quotas.

$ UCX SHOW PROT/PARA TCP shows drop and probe timer values - could this be related ?

Volker.
Rajarshi Gupta
Frequent Advisor

Hi Volkar ,

Could you please tell me why this send and receive value is coming as 3000 for telnet and 0 for FTP? The quota for send and receive from the output of the command -
ucx show prot tcp/param - is not maching and coming as 4096 by default.
Also for FTP service the keepalive option is not there. I have set the socket_option=nokeepalive for the telnet service and restarted the service , after that the keepalive option is not coming. Does it mean it has been disabled? Is the keepalive option ON by default for Telnet and Off by default for FTP? How to check the value for keepalive interval ( after how long the the faulty socket will expire ) in UCX 4.2 ?
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Rajarshi,

there seem to be different default values for send and receive quotas for different services. It is the same on my UCX V4.2 system.

If the /SOCKET_OPTION for a service does not show KEEPALIVE, I would assume that keepalive has been turned off.

Here is a pointer to a current TCPIP documentation talking about keepalive:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/73final/6631/6631pro_003.html#index_x_134

It looks like the values seen for Drop Timer and Probe Timer with UCX SHOW PROT TCP/PARA seem to be the relevant timers.

There also was a recent ITRC thread about keepalive:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=957149

Volker.