108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

poor performance after memory upgrade

SOLVED
Go to solution
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Re: poor performance after memory upgrade

Installed images are shared library (or DLL in windows terms) used by software; when they have installed, system load then quicky and can reduce PF.
What image you can install is depending by application: reading Oracle documentation you can find somthink about this.
To view installed images type:
$ INSTALL LIST
I think you'll receive a very long list of installed images.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Peter Clarke
Regular Advisor

Yes i get a long list of images.Are these the ones that are installed??
How can i find out which ones are being accessed frequently but are not installed so that i could install these ones??

Pete
Brian Reiter
Valued Contributor

Peter,

You would have to accounting. Assuming its running (and looking after the right info) just enter

ACCOUNT/SIN=TODAY

Which, assuming its enabled will give you a list of image activations etc.

To enable it:
$SET ACCOUNTING /ENABLE=(PROCESS,BATCH,INTERACTIVE,IMAGE)

to verify whether its running and what for

$SHOW ACCOUNT

Peter Clarke
Regular Advisor

Ok Thanks Brian,I now have this information so how would i install the most frequent images from this accounting file??

Is there anything to take into consideration when doing this??
Diskspace i quess? anything else?

Peter Clarke
Regular Advisor

Attached is the output from the Accounting utility.
Any suggestions on which images to install and how to install them properly??
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

INSTALL REPLACE imagefilename/OPEN/HEADER/SHARE
would be the usual. Note this consumes gblpages and gblsections. See
INSTALL LIST/G/SUM to see how many gblpages free.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter,
reading you account attachment I known you have about 75 loginout every quarter of hour!
This means abou 300 user every hours when you have 650/700 user average connected. Every two hours all your user made turn over!
You have a big problem of hard PF due excessive loginout as posted by a few members.
Also, your user make many create/file and delete, so your HD become very fragmented and you have heavy I/O.
I think you need a good defragmenter and to know used shared library monit any user running QUIZA810C2 and QTPA810C2 application.

Have a great day!
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Peter Clarke
Regular Advisor

Antoniov,

I have a defragmenter and have planned to run this coming weekend.
I guess this will improve i/o and performance.
Regarding the LOGINOUT image it looks to me as is this image is installed already.
How could i improve this??

Peter
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

the problem is not the loginout image but the fact that it indicates lots of logins hence process creation. Process creation is an expensive operation on vms.
However don't focus on technical numbers but find a business metric visable to the users e.g. response time for a specific operation that users do a lot. This means you have to talk to your users and this can be like communicating with sheep sometimes :-) but you have to try and workout what they do and what's slow for them. Then work out what resource bottleneck is involved and fix it. This all may be obvious but its worth repeating as it is too easy to get focused on the technical numbers like hard page fault rate and forget what is visable to the lusers.

Peter,

Yes, LOGINOUT will definitely already have been INSTALLed, and unless you REALLY do know the details of WHAT you are doing, AND you REALLY need it (and I cannot think of any good reason yet), then DON'T mess with LOGINOUT!!!
It is SO easy to blow your system security away, and/or make your system unaccessable!!

If you review your Image Accountng data, then the images that could benefit are those that are _NOT_ in sys$system nor in sys$library.
If you do the INSTALL /SHARE, then the code will be in memory, and image activation requires only DZRO (DemandZeRO) pagefaults, which are soft faults.
The two images that immediately spring into view are QUIZA810C2 and QTPA810C2.

The issue with disk defragmenting may or may not give real gain. If most of the disk access is to create, and shortly thereafter delete, temporary files, then defragging will be little help. The reported window turns will probably be gone after defragging though.
There is a long-standing (as far is I know still-unresolved) debate about the effects of defragging vs. using Cathedral Windows, as to the cost for improving performance. Defrag costs (a lot) of CPU & IO, but can be done in off-hours. Cathedral windows cost some extra memory.
Another (maybe) usefull suggestion:
If you know more or less what the average size of your temporary files is, then check the default extent size of the volume.
Use SET VOLUME/EXTENT=.. on every node in the cluster to make reasonably sure you very seldom need more than one extent!
BTW, maybe stupid question, but you DO have HIGHWATERMARKING turned OFF, I assume? If not, then do so! (unless you are a Top-secret Military site, but then, you could not have posted what you already have).

Hth,

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.