New Discussion юеВ

Re: problem restoring image

SOLVED
Go to solution
Shriniketan Bhagwat
Trusted Contributor

Hi Tim,

In my opinion, this issue is not related to cluster or with external storage.

Regards,
Ketan
Brian Reiter
Valued Contributor
Solution

Tim,

I can't comment on why it won't boot the disk. The serial number problem may point to a previous motherboard replacement, I believe there are a couple of modules which need to be migrated when the board is replaced - however when I had this problem with one of my servers the machine still booted.

Have you tried adding the new disk to the boot menu? i.e. add boot device from the boot options menu. Ive found in the past that system disk swaps are not always picked up.

cheers

Brian
Shriniketan Bhagwat
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

>> Ive found in the past that system disk swaps are not always picked up.

This is expected in case integrity machines. Because the boot options set for the disk on one machine is different than the disk on other machine. You need to validate the boot option for the disk using the procedure sys$startup:boot_options.com (once the machine is up) after swapping the disk between the machine. This can also be done from the EFI shell using the below command.
Shell> fs0:\efi\vms\vms_bcfg.efi boot add 1 fs0:\efi\vms\vms_loader.efi "v8.3" Where fs0: is the swapped disk.

Swapping the disk from one machine to another machine will only work without re-validation if both machines have previously had boot options set for that specific disk (or copy of it).

Regards,
Ketan
Hoff
Honored Contributor

The two and usually three Integrity consoles (arguably three and a half, if you count POSSE) found in your box tend to be arcane. And each of the three consoles uses syntax different from the others.

Put another way, don't carry over any impressions or assumptions around how this console stuff works, as EFI is very different.

Always delete the console aliases when you're swapping disks or when you're swapping BACKUP /IMAGE contents of disks; those aliases are tied to the disk partitioning structures, and - because VMS doesn't support partitioning - it is common to end up with dangling references.

HP regularly points to the BOOT_OPTIONS procedure (and which is easy) and (for many cases( you can use the console-level (cryptic) commands to clear and then set new boot aliases.

Swapping in a system disk from another system is less preferably to reloading from distro; changing the name of a VMS host is a massive hassle. Best to clean-install, in my experience.

EFI and alias stuff:

http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/392
http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/724

Low-level disk structures in the PDF download here:

http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/28

The invalid system id is unrelated to the disk swap; this error is a firmware/hardware-level error, and HP tends to hold this area of the EFI configuration pretty closely. See if the box is current on its firmware, upgrade it as needed, then ring up HP hardware support for assistance.

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1264468

Reposting this, as ITRC glitched again. Apologies on dups.
tim lloyd_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi All, Brian's response made a lot of sense (and was a reasonably simple approach). I figured if I added something to my boot configuration I wouldn't compromise the computer.

So, I added a boot option for my new disk, promoted this to the first boot device and hey presto, I can boot.

All looks fine at the moment. I need to change the IP address and this time I will back up the disk ASAP.

I will leave this thread open for a few more days just in case something horrible happens.

Thanks to all
tim lloyd_1
Frequent Advisor

created a new configuration entry for the system disk. Then I could use this entry to boot