4606 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

quorum disk

adarsh_4
Frequent Advisor

quorum disk

%sysinit-i-found invalid openvms cluster quorum disk
%sysinit- volume already mounted on a differently-named device, stauts = 007280b4

i get the above error when i boot my machine. i want to change the disk_quorum value. I boot form cd and do a mc sysgen

after that i type as follows

sysgen> use current
sysgen> set disk_quorum "$2$dka100"
sysgen> write current

after that i get a error as " sysgen-e-creparfil, unable to create parameter file.
-rms-e-wlk, device currently write locked.

i want to know if iam on the right track in solving this problem and also how can i change the disk_quorum value.

thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Re: quorum disk

If you boot from the CD and issue a 'write current', SYSGEN tries to write into the booted filesystem, which is on a readonly devices, the CD.
You may mount the real systemdisk and do a SYSGEN> WRITE disk:[sys0.sysexe]alphavmssys.par
(replace disk and the systemroot with your values)
or do a conversational boot into SYSBOOT and set your parameters. When exiting from SYSBOOT VMS continues to boot.

regards Kalle
Steve Reece_3
Trusted Contributor

It may be a stupid question to ask as I don't have a VMS box at my side to test with, but can't you do this by editing modparams.dat on any system that is a quorum disk watcher and then autogen those nodes through to reboot/reboot the cluster?
Do you really need a quorum disk vote to be able to get your environment running? Can you set he quorum disk name to be blank, then reset and reboot?

Steve
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

%sysinit-i-found invalid openvms cluster quorum disk
%sysinit- volume already mounted on a differently-named device, stauts = 007280b4

Status 007280b4 = %MOUNT-F-VOLALRMNT, another volume of same label already mounted

Teh disk you designed as the quorum disk bears the wrong label; given it's location (sysinit) I think you desigend the system disk being the quorum disk, or you have given it the wrong label.
It has nothing to do with the disk quorum.

Boot minimal, mount the disk designed to be the quorum disk and relabel it. Modify MODPARAMS and specify the wrong disk, label and diskquorum, and execute AUTOGEN. Then reboot normally.
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

You can change this using modparams/autogen. This will require a reboot of the cluster.

Steve you have a really good question here:
>>>Do you really need a quorum disk vote to be able to get your environment running?

You need to have quorum to create quorum.dat on the quorum disk. Until this file is created, the quorum disk isn't voting. Do not create or copy this file on the fly. So, the answers depends on your cluster voting configuration. In a two node cluster with 1 vote on each node and 1 quorum disk vote, you need to start one node with temporarily inflated votes allowing quorum.dat to be created. Changing the quorum disk will require attention to quorum.

Andy
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Steve Reece_3
Trusted Contributor

Andy commented:
"Steve you have a really good question here:
>>>Do you really need a quorum disk vote to be able to get your environment running? "

I got the impression that the OP had an environment that was already working which is why I asked the question. All nodes available shouldn't need the QD vote but it needs to be quorate to boot in the first instance as you say Andy.

Steve