Operating System - OpenVMS
1753261 Members
4913 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

rename Label on Disk Device

rename Label on Disk Device

Hi,
i have installed a new Disk on my System. This i have with the init command initialized and labeld with a new Label. Now i mounted the Disk with the /foreign command and make a Imagebackup from a other Disk. After the complete Backup i dismounted the Disk and i try to mount the Disk with /System. Now the System tells me that the Label are not correct. How could i change after the Imagebackup the Disklabel?

6 REPLIES 6
Duncan Morris
Honored Contributor

Re: rename Label on Disk Device

Hello Manfred,

mount the disk privately with:

MOUNT/OVERRIDE=IDENT DKxxx

then relabel it with

SET VOL DKxxx/LABEL=new_name

You can then remount it with /system

You cannot mount two volumes of the same label with /system.

Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Manfred,

If on a standalone system, follow Manfred's advice.
If you have a similar situation in future, you can prevent this problem.
In the BACKUP command, specify /NOINIT.
(also do this if you want to change ANY initialize characteristic of the new disk!, eg clustersize, or, if you want to start to use the new V7.3-2 feature MAX_SIZE )

If you should want to change the volume label of a disk, mounted on more than one cluster nodes, you must issue SET VOLUME/LABEL= on EACH node.

hth

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

... and take note that changing the volume label of a system disk requires an update of the PCSI database.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Uwe,

Explain please?

Change the volume label of the system disk is _REQUIRED_ to be able to do a rolling upgrade... and I never knew about the PCSI db issue.
(and we are planning an upgrade right now!)

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Jan,
the mount logical name (DISK$label) is recorded in the PCSI database (I think it is shown with ' product show object/full'). On the other hand - if I now use on OpenVMS V7.3-2:

$ help product register volume

it says that the system will do the update automatically.
Rick Dyson
Valued Contributor

The install guide for upgrading OpenVMS has an explicit section on this topic (of changing the volume name on the system disk) and includes examples of the PRODUCT command use.

rick