108838 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

restarting oracle listener process on Open VMS

SOLVED
Go to solution
Stephanie Gonos
Occasional Contributor

restarting oracle listener process on Open VMS

I come from a windows background, and am learning VMS. I have a VMS server with an oracle client that connects to an HP-Unix oracle database. The Unix box went down and
but is now back. The VMS box is giving errors when you attempt to connect, so I think I just need to restart the oracle listener on the client box which is the VMS machine.

I dont' believe the logicals are set up correctly. Can you tell me what needs to be set up and how the command it run ?

I have an Oracle-Home directory, I run Orauser and am able to get into SQLPLUS, but
any attempts to run a lsnrctl start command
gives me an error of -- @lsnrctl from the bin directory says no logical name equivalence for ORA_NETWORK. no logical name match.

Thanks for your help
7 REPLIES 7
The Brit
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: restarting oracle listener process on Open VMS

Stephanie,
What version of OpenVMS, and what version of Oracle client.

I running 10g client on OpenVMS 8.3-1H1. The startup looks like:

$ Define/NoLog/System/Trans=Conc Ora_Root Sys$SysDevice:[Oracle10g.]
$ Define/NoLog/System Oracle_Home Ora_Root:[000000]
$!
$ @Ora_root:[utils]orauser
$ @Oracle_Home:insoracle

This last com file creates the logical name tables and installs oracle images.

HTH

Dave.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

A client system does not really need a listener

For a server going up and down, you normally would not need to do anything on the client.

What are the error message/codes?

What is the Oracle (client) version and OpenVMS version?

>> I dont' believe the logicals are set up correctly. Can you tell me what needs to be set up and how the command it run ?

Yes, that could be the case, but then it would never have worked.
The logical names are typically setup in a dedicated logical name table, by insoracle.

insoracle can be called automatically from orauser, or can be called explicitly.

orauser can be found in oracle_home, and effectivly defines oracle_home.

That's the one 'real' location you need to know

But you indicate you already did that.
Did you get error doing that?
Notably:

"ORACLE environment setup NOT successful.
The ORACLE environment must first be established by the
Database Administrator. This can be done by executing
command INSORACLE from an account which has DBA privileges."

$ SHOW LOG ORA_NETWORK ??
$ SHOW LOG ORA_* ??

Hope this helps some,
Hein

Stephanie Gonos
Occasional Contributor

It looks like this might now be a problem with the "hosts" file. The insoracle command along with the orauser got me further along.

I now know from past behavior that I need to check to see if this server can connect to the HP box (the one that was down). It also connects to a second HP box and that link is
working fine (since that Box never went down). Can anyone tell me where to check in the directory structre to see if the VMS box
is pointing the new box, or how that connection can be restablished?
Stephanie Gonos
Occasional Contributor

The reason I am thinking about the connection between the servers ... this connection did work. It's only because the HP Unix machine went down, that it broke.

I have two tnsnames in the file. One is for the first HP server, another for the second HP server. Connnection one works, connection two doesn't. Same entry only difference is the host name in the description.

Would appreciate commands to verify connections between the OPENVMS system and the unix system. I am getting the normal generic Tnsnames can't resolve name errors, so I need to check out that the boxes can talk with each other.

Thank you.
Stephanie Gonos
Occasional Contributor

A follow up since I received some oracle responses here. Does HP have an oracle forum as well ?

I can do a TCPip ping from the MVS server to the Unix box. I've tried both IP address and host name in the tnsnames.ora file.

I get errors like 12545 Connect failed because target host or object does not exit.

how else can I troubleshoot networking between these servers ?

Thanks.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

As compared with asking a distributed-multiplatform Oracle database question of an audience primarily comprised of HP VMS folks (and without a particularly large population of Oracle users participating in these HP forums, for that matter), there are web sites around with far more Oracle content, not the least of which is the Oracle web site and the Oracle forums and the Oracle metalink database.

Google finds roughly eight thousand hits for that error message. Here are a few of the matches, both related to this error and to sites discussing Oracle software:

http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=4414190

http://www.lazydba.com/oracle/0__105475.html

http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_ora_12454_connect_failed_because_target_host_or_object_does_not_exist.htm

Here's a Google query that specifically targets this error with resources at Oracle:

http://www.google.com/search?q=12545+Connect+failed+because+target+host+or+object+does+not+exist+site%3Aoracle.com

Obvious tests here would include what Oracle has cited in their error messages and recovery documentation (ping, et al) as well as determining if the server that tipped over has correctly and completely restarted. "The Unix box went down and but is now back." could involve a problem with the Unix box, after all, and it might have successfully rebooted but might not be fully operational yet. Specifically, have you verified Oracle is running and fully operational?

Kevin Carter_3
Frequent Advisor

for a SQLplus client on an OpenVMS system to connect to an Oracle db (local or remote) you need to run the orauser command procedure and pass the sid / db name as a parameter.

For example:
$ @ora$home[oracle.v102]orauser prod

prod being the database name / sid that I want to connect to. It does not matter if the database is local or remote. Oracle uses the sid to reference the connect string in the local tnsnames.ora file to connect to the db. A listener is necessary if the db is local, and not needed if the db is hosted on a remote server.

you can verify that the logical has been / not been set by:

$ show logical ora_sid

this will tell you what db a sqlplus session will connect to by default

Hope this helps :-)

kc