1753539 Members
4927 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

scheduler vss.dat maintaince

Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

scheduler vss.dat maintaince

the product formally known as decscheduler has a indexed file called vss.dat that requires periodic maintaince. There is a supplied utility DB_UTILITY.EXE that does the maintaince if run interactively. I intend to have a regularly scheduled batch job that performs the maintaince regularly. I have found that a CONVERT operation does the trick. At present the steps are essentially
ANAL/RMS/FDL=A.FDL VSS.DAT
EDIT/FDL/ANAL=A.FDL/NOINTERACT A.FDL
CONVERT/FDL=A.FDL VSS.DAT VSS.DAT

However I was wondering about the EDIT/FDL and if a /SCRIPT=OPTIMIZE would be a good idea and if so if a /EMPHASIS=x qualifer would be a good thing?

Any comments?
Honored Contributor

Re: scheduler vss.dat maintaince

re-reading the help it appears /NOINTERACTIVE invokes the optimize script. However I'm still wondering about /EMPHASIS

Hi Ian,

you can use the following command procedure to run DB_UTILITY in batch job
sys> type a.com
$set noon
$sch stop
$run nsched$:db_utility
yes
$@sys$startup:scheduler$startup
$exit

Thanks & regards,
Lokesh
What would you do with your life if you knew you could not fail?
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

I'm reasonably comfortably with tuning RMS indexed files in general, but unfortunately do not know anything about this vss.dat file or its specific usage?

Is it even worth worrying about? Like does it have several operations/second? How is the IOs/record operation looking?

You may want to use my rms_stats and/or rms_tune_check tools from the VMS freeware kit to help understnad how critical it is to tune this file a little, or a lot.

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/freeware

Please also define 'period'? How much effort is the ANAL/RMS phase? Is this done daily/weekly?

I would encourage you to review the analyze output yourself, tweak it to cover your anticipated usage for the next N periods (notably the total number of records expected) and skip the analyze and optimize for several periods (a year). Just use a well tuned FDL over and over, untill (runtime) stats suggest further action is needed.

Hope this helps,
Hein.