1754278 Members
2904 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

socket peek buffer sizes

Elli M Barasch
Advisor

socket peek buffer sizes

When I issue a socket peek read (TCPIP$C_MSG_PEEK) via the QIOW interface, I notice that QIOW always returns with a maximum byte count of 1024. Is this adjustable?

TIA.

18 REPLIES 18
Richard Whalen
Honored Contributor

Re: socket peek buffer sizes

Can we see a code fragment so we know a bit more about the environment (TCP/UDP) and how the read is done?
Elli M Barasch
Advisor

int peek_count = MIN(howmuch,50000);

#if 0
printf("peeking %d bytes | ",peek_count);
status = sys$qiow(0,conn_channel,IO$_READVBLK,&iosb,0,0,cursor, peek_count,0,TCPIP$C_MSG_PEEK,0,0);
EXIT_IF_BAD(status,iosb);
if (iosb.iosb$w_bcnt == 0)
break;
int count = iosb.iosb$w_bcnt;
printf("peeked %d and now reading\n",iosb.iosb$w_bcnt);
status = sys$qiow(0,conn_channel, IO$_READVBLK, &iosb,0,0, cursor,count,0, 0,0,0 );
if (count != iosb.iosb$w_bcnt)
printf("count mismatch, expd/got = %d/%d\n",count,iosb.iosb$w_bcnt);
#else
printf("reading %d |",peek_count);
status = sys$qiow(0,conn_channel, IO$_READVBLK, &iosb,0,0, cursor,peek_count,0, 0,0,0 );
printf("got %d\n",iosb.iosb$w_bcnt);
#endif
GuentherF
Trusted Contributor

How much is 'howmuch'?

/Guenther
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Elli,

It may help to see how you created the socket. Please include the values of any constants. If you can work out the device name, the output of SHOW DEVICE/FULL BGnnnn might also be interesting.
A crucible of informative mistakes
Elli M Barasch
Advisor

howmuch varies from 64000 down to 1. The code never issues a read QIO of more than 50000 bytes (as per the MIN statement). howmuch is decremented by the iosb.iosb$w_bcnt on each iteration of the loop in which this code fragment executes.

The loop terminates when a certain string is found in the stream, or when howmuch = 0.

The code was written conditionally in two ways... One with a peek, one w/o a peek. The results are identical: the QIO completion size always maxes out at 1024 bytes.

Additionally, there is an 'interactive' part of this program that issues a "command" to the partner, prompting the partner to send a 5 byte response. Even though I issue a 64 byte read, I always get a 5 byte I/O completion. How does this work? Is there an inter-byte timeout that causes the driver to complete the I/O? IOW, why doesn't my 64 byte read block?

If I am correct in this "inter-byte timeout" assumption, is it possible that my network partner is pausing after it transmits every 1024 bytes? The delay might be long enough for the driver to then complete the I/O and force me to issue additional reads. I'd like to be able to increase this "inter-byte timeout" so that I can reduce the number of QIOs required.

Elli M Barasch
Advisor

Kind of textbook socket set-up here...

conn_sockchar.prot = TCPIP$C_TCP;
conn_sockchar.type = TCPIP$C_STREAM;
conn_sockchar.af = TCPIP$C_AF_INET;

struct timeval tmo={15,0}; // 2 second timeout on any I/O

tmo_itemlist.length = sizeof(tmo);
tmo_itemlist.type = TCPIP$C_RCVTIMEO;
tmo_itemlist.address = &tmo;

sockopt_itemlist.length = sizeof(tmo_itemlist);
sockopt_itemlist.type = TCPIP$C_SOCKOPT;
sockopt_itemlist.address = &tmo_itemlist;

// whom are we connecting to?
CLEAR(serv_addr);
serv_addr.sin_family = TCPIP$C_AF_INET;
serv_addr.sin_port = htons(atoi(argv[2])); // second arg is port number

// set up socket type
status = sys$qiow(0, conn_channel, IO$_SETMODE, &iosb, 0, 0, &conn_sockchar, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 );

// set up socket timeout
status = sys$qiow(0, conn_channel, IO$_SETMODE, &iosb, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, &sockopt_itemlist, 0 );

// connect to remote port
status = sys$qiow(0, conn_channel, IO$_ACCESS, &iosb, 0, 0, 0, 0, &serv_itemlist, 0, 0, 0 );

// Send the prompt - a CR
status = sys$qiow(0,conn_channel, IO$_WRITEVBLK, &iosb, 0, 0, "\r", 1, 0, 0, 0, 0);
Elli M Barasch
Advisor

The comment above on the TMO set up is wrong. No matter what the time value is, the behavior is the same.
GuentherF
Trusted Contributor

"Even though I issue a 64 byte read, I always get a 5 byte I/O completion"

You actually specified that you have a read buffer of 64 bytes. If there are only 5 bytes in the buffer then that's is what you get.

Typically with TCP/IP - a STREAM protocol - you have to read in a loop and extract your data. There is no gurantee on the amount of data you may get with a read.

To change the default internal read buffer size do a IO$_SETMODE with TCPIP$C_RCVBUF.

But no matter how large you make all the buffers (program's private or system buffer) the data stream typically is "hacked" into smaller pieces.

Btw. the timeout only works if NO data has been received so far. Once a byte or more is in the system buffer the QIO calls returns when either there is no more data in the system buffer or your program buffer has been filled.

/Guenther
Elli M Barasch
Advisor

Guenther, I don't think you understood my question.

Issuing a QIO on a stream isn't the same as issuing a QIO on a disk device. There's no way to know if there's more in the stream coming, so the driver has to make a decision when to complete the I/O.

The streams I am reading are well over 20,000 bytes long. If I issue a 50,000 byte QIOW read, I'd expect to block until all 50,000 bytes arrive. This is not the case. Similarly, the 64 byte read terminates after only 5 bytes have arrived. The driver decides to complete the I/O well before the requested number of bytes arrive. So what criteria does the driver use to complete the I/O? The driver must use some sort of "no-activity" timer, or perhaps it uses the size of a single transport that was received off the wire. If there is a timer, I am asking if there is any way to tune it.

Thanks,
Elli