1756336 Members
3674 Online
108846 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: tcp/ip installation openvms

simon_164
Super Advisor

tcp/ip installation openvms

I am installing TCP/IP on OpenVMS version 7.2 and I am getting an unrecoverable error due to software dependency, when i am making a show product i get the error "InsDependErr" !
Any idea?
11 REPLIES 11
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Simon,

assuming you're running OpenVMS Alpha V7.2, you'll need TCPIP V5.0A or V5.1 - no other version will support V7.2

PROD INSTAL should have told you about the software dependency, i.e. what it's missing. To remove the unsucessfully installed version of TCPIP, use PROD REMOVE.

Volker.
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Simon,

Which version/revision of TCPIP are you trying to install?

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
simon_164
Super Advisor

Thanks for the replies, well i'm not sure what version of TCP/IP i am using, but it came with the cd, so i think it is the working version. Another thing, when i am trying to do "show network" i get another error saying that no network information is available. I'm sure i have 2 network cards. I'm also sure that DECNET is not installed.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Simon,

you can find out about the TCPIP version with $ TCPIP SHOW VERSION

$ PROD SHO HIST TCPIP* should also list the TCPIP versions and ECOs.

On the older versions of OpenVMS, one had to invoke @SYS$STARTUP:SYS$NET_SERVICES.COM to allow SHOW NETWORK to work (see SYS$STARTUP:SYSTARTUP_VMS.TEMPLATE).

In addition to installing TCPIP (or DECnet), you'll also need to configure those products using @TCPIP$CONFIG (or @NETCONFIG.COM for DECnet-IV/ @NET$CONFIGURE.COM for DECnet-Plus)

Volker.
simon_164
Super Advisor

Well now i'm sure i have VMS 7.2-2, I have on the same CD and the only available kit for me is TCP/IP V5.1-15. I have not loaded any license for the VMS nor for the TCP/IP layered product. After trying to install TCP/IP using pcsi installation I am getting the software dependency error. when i try to do a "product register" every thing works fine, then after product show product it will give me InsDependErr at the end of the display.
Any idea, or any further things to try?
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Simon,

could you provide the exact command used to install TCPIP and the details of the 'software dependency' error message ?
What does PROD SHOW HIST give you ?
(consider to create a text file, cut & paste the data and attach it to your next reply).

You never have to use a PRODUCT REGISTER command under normal circumstances.

If this a newly installed system, could you redo the OpenVMS installation and install TCPIP at that time ?

Volker.
simon_164
Super Advisor

Dear volker halle,
attached is the output, but it was written by me, because there is no way i can get it out of the system ( no printer, no telnet...)
Thanks.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Simon,

the PCSIUI-E-SWREFUNSAT error message should have been preceeded by some %PCSI-W-SFTREF message telling you, which product is actually missing. Did you get those messages ?

Volker.
Mobeen_1
Esteemed Contributor

Simon,
Please look into the release notes for the TCPIP that you are installing and make sure if you have all the prerequisites addressed ?

Or rerun the installation again and let us know what you see before "PCSIUI-E-SWREFUNSAT". As mentioned the post prior to this, the installation will tell you which prerequisites are not addressed

regards
Mobeen