108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: tcpip services v5.4 - sysconfig settings between reboots

SOLVED
Go to solution
jeff willis_1
Occasional Contributor

tcpip services v5.4 - sysconfig settings between reboots

Could anyone tell me how it's possible to maintain sysconfig settings across reboots. I've reduced the values of two parameters

tcp_keepintvl and tcp_keepidle

dynamically using sysconfig -r inet

Now I want to maintain these settings across reboots. Docs say not to use [sys0.tcpip$etc]sysconfigtab.dat but use sysconfig -r but this is only temporary. Tried using sysconfigtab.dat anyway and performing a reboot with no success.
7 REPLIES 7
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Jeff,

consider to add the appropriate sysconfig commands into your system startup file (after invoking TCPIP$STARTUP.COM).

Volker.
Galen Tackett
Valued Contributor

Jeff,

Volker's method will work just fine, of course.

Another way is to put the settings in sysconfigdb as we've done with the exact same parameters here, but I don't have a reference handy to remind me where the file lives or exactly what to put in it. At least it's ASCII so you can use an editor on it.

Volker's way could be called the heritage VMS approach, and mine the Unix heritage approach. (Disclaimer: I'm actually a VMS person. The only place I use Unix is on my Mac OS X system at home. And that's only because if I want a command line, I have to use it.)
Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor

Jeff,

If we use -r option, that would be temorary only. (TCPIP sysconfig -r inet tcp_keepinit=30), because when a subsystem is loaded, the attributes that are not listed in the SYSCONFIGTAB.DAT file are set to their default values during reboot.

To modify an attribute value permanently, include the attribute in the system configuration table - SYSCONFIGTAB.DAT. Values specified in sysconfigtab are preserved through system reboots. To include an attribute in the sysconfigtab file, use the SYSCONFIGDB utility.

Archunan
Regards
Archie
Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor
Solution

Jeff,

Before use sysconfigdb utility, we have to create a stanza-formatted file. The procedure to create stanza-formatted file and sysconfigdb usuage is explaind in "HP TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Tuning and Troubleshooting"

Archunan

Regards
Archie
Heinz W Genhart
Honored Contributor

Hi Jeff

we do similar things and we use FailSafe IP.
All the definitions required to get it work, even after a reboot, are made in SYS$COMMON:[SYS$STARTUP]TCPIP$SYSTARTUP.COM.
I think, this is the right place for this definitions.

Regards

Heinz
jeff willis_1
Occasional Contributor

Many thanks to Archunan. Used the sysconfigdb method to save the kernal parameters
Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor

Jeff,
You are welcome and Happy to know you resolved your problems.

Thanks
Archunan
Regards
Archie