108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

trouble booting with new disk

SOLVED
Go to solution
sandyt
Frequent Advisor

trouble booting with new disk

We have an alphaserver ds15 running vms 7.3.2. We recently added a pci raid card and added two disks to make a mirrored system drive--dkc0 (also set it up as a system drive in the raid configuration).

The old system disk is dka0. When booting from dka0, sh dev d lists dkc0, but when I do show device from the system console before booting, dkc0 is nowhere to be seen. Booting vms from the cd also requires running sysman and io a before it will work with dkc0.

How can I enable the server see that disk so I can set it as the boot device?
Thanks for any help
4 REPLIES 4
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: trouble booting with new disk

I'll ask the moderators to move this to the OpenVMS forum.
Duncan Morris
Honored Contributor
Solution

Sandyt,

welcome to the OpenVMS forum!

What type of RAID card have you added to the DS15?

If it is an unsupported card then you may not be able to boot from it, despite being able to see it after "io auto".

From the SRM console prompt can you do a SHOW CONFIG and SHOW DEVICE, and post the results as a text attachment here?

Sometimes the console device name for a RAID volume may not be the same as the device name seen after VMS has booted.

Duncan
Hoff
Honored Contributor

In all likelihood, the (unspecified) PCI RAID controller device is unsupported, or your AlphaServer DS15 SRM conmsole firmware is too old. Or both.

OpenVMS Alpha V7.3-2 is ancient; if this is a supported RAID controller device, then you'll either need to upgrade that, or (if available) load ECO kits that add support for the particular controller.
sandyt
Frequent Advisor

Duncan hit the jackpot!

The raided disk is seen at boot as "dya0", but once up in vms it reverts to "dkc0".

The card is a 5302a with 128mb cache purchased from HP.

Hoff, we would like to upgrade to a higher level of vms, but are restricted by the company that provides support for one of our applications.

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate your help and willingness to share that with the rest of us.