Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
Operating System - Tru64 Unix
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cron problems running a Perl script

IE Admins
Advisor

Cron problems running a Perl script

All,

I have a strange problem on a new Tru64 host I am configuring. I am attempting to run a simple Perl script from cron:
* * * * * /tmp/test.pl >> /tmp/test.log 2>&1

The output file contains no records, and cron log shows:
< testuser 296824 cr /tmp/test.pl >> /tmp/test.log 2>&1 rc=1 Fri Feb 13 07:02:00 2009

The contents of the Perl script is as follows, has correct permissions and runs OK interactively:
#!/usr/local/bin/perl -w
print "This is a test ";
exec ('date');

Obviously, rc=1 an error is occurring preventing my script from running.

I have tested the script and cron entries against another Tru64 host and a HP-UX host - both return expected results in the /tmp/test.log file.

I can force cron to run the script by changing the cron entry to:
/bin/ksh -c ". /etc/profile;/tmp/test.pl" >> /tmp/test.log 2>&1

My frustration is that I don't have to change the cron entry on my other test boxes to get the environment set up correctly. There's a difference in the OS environment setup on the new Tru64 host I am intalling ... where do I start looking?!?

Points gratefully awarded for any help!
4 REPLIES
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Re: Cron problems running a Perl script

Hi,

I haven't tested your script, but I'll guess that this is an environment thing...

Try changing date to /usr/bin/date (or wherever date lives...)

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
IE Admins
Advisor

Thanks for the suggestion - I have updated the script with no luck.

The script doesn't seem to invoke at all - the print command does not return any output
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I can force cron to run the script by changing the cron entry to:
/bin/ksh -c ". /etc/profile;/tmp/test.pl"

This is one solution if you need your profile.
You could also create a ksh script that looks what variables are set and see which one perl needs, by trial and error.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Permissions on the log file maybe ?

Or maybe perl isn't in /usr/local/bin, although I'd expect that to cause it to fail interactively...

Cheers,

Rob