3029 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DEC 533AU2 TRU64 Installation Crash

Victor_146
Occasional Contributor

DEC 533AU2 TRU64 Installation Crash

Hello,

I have a 533AU personal work station that I have bee trying to install Tru64 ver 5.1B. Everything seems to go OK up until it goes GUI at the pick a language screen. At this point it completely freezes. It has Had RH Linux 7.2 and NT 4.0 sever installed, RH being the latter recent OS. So I think that I can rule out any hardware related items. Any one have any ideas?

Victor
4 REPLIES 4
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Re: DEC 533AU2 TRU64 Installation Crash

Hi,

is the boot drive console variable still pointing to the boot drive? If so, you may want to clear it, so that the installation does not try to save the old hardware database. From 5.1A to 5.1A this aborts the installation.
Did you update firmware to the last version?
It is a relative old machine. Did you check on the hardware being still supported?

greetings,

Michael
Victor_146
Occasional Contributor

Michael,

I am not sure that I understand about the old database from 5.1A.

I am not doing an upgrade. Or is this something it will do before installing 5.1B?
I am doing a clean install from formatted drives.

I have the latest firmware for the SRM console and the Alpha NT BIOS, ( I think version 6.1).

The hardware is not supported, and has not been for sometime.

I have followed all of the instructions as for as setting the SRM settings for boot devices and variables.

Victor
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

even if you do a new installation, TRU64 tries to access the boot disk if bootdef_dev is set. How did you clean the disks? You should clear the bootdef_dev anyway because it will be set during installation when you choose the boot disk.

Michael
Aaron Biver_2
Frequent Advisor

Victor,

Is this still a problem? Can you tell whether the failure is consistently happening at the same point in the installation, or is it random?

Maybe a "show config" and "show *" from the console might be useful. Can you attach this?

Also, you might consider trying a serial console installation session. If that works, switch to graphics console once the installation is complete, and see what happens. If it falls over then there is a pretty good chance your graphics card is not supported.