Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kernel Idle

SOLVED
Go to solution

Kernel Idle

I am not sure what the kernel idle process does. I have this process using up to 100% cpu time. Is this normal? It may be a stupid question, but can anybody tell me what the kerenel idle process is there for?
3 REPLIES
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Kernel Idle

Kernel_idle is a standard OS process that should (must) be present on all
of your Tru64 UNIX systems.

If the system is doing nothing at all, then kernel_idle will absolutely be the top process. The top thread will be idle_thread. Cpus *cannot* be quiescent during periods of inactivity. So the kernel runs idle_thread to keep it happy. This does not indicate a performance problem. Any thread with real work to do will *always* preemp idle_thread.

kernel_idle tasks can be divided into 2 catagories:

system work - such as simple_lock() where the kernel is doing useful work on behalf processes that need things done, and

idle time - when the kernel has no work to do, so it runs the idle_thread.
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Nicolas Dumeige
Esteemed Contributor

Hello,

It does remember M$ Windows System "Idle Process" !
Since NT was developped by the creator of OpenVMS, is the way of thinking OS idleness a DEC legacy ?

;D

Nicolas
All different, all Unix
Victor Semaska
Frequent Advisor

You may have a hardware problem. On one of our ES45s I noticed [kernel idle] at 100%. Further investigation showed that one of the 2 NICs in a NetRAIN device went bad. Use this command to look at all the threads running under [kernel idle]:

# ps -Am -O THREAD

This may help identify the problem. We were also experiencing poor response. How's the response on your system?

We're running Tru64 V5.1B PK3.

Vic