1753771 Members
4774 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

NIFF Problems :\

Pacman3k

NIFF Problems :\

Hello all,
I have the few problems with the NIFF monitoring.
I’m really stuck and will be most grateful for any suggestions.
The problems are:
1. On a True64 V5.1B machine I have two interfaces combined into a NetRAIN virtual interface. (e.g. ee1 + ee2 = nr0).
When running the ‘niffconfig –s ee1’ or ‘niffconfig –s ee2’ I receive the error: “The interfacs ee1 is not being monitored.” And same for ee2.
When I try running the ‘niffconfig –a ee1’ I receive: “can't add interface ee1: Function not implemented”.
The ‘niffconfig –v’ returning the following:
Interface: ee2, description: NetRAIN internal, status: UP, event: UP, state: GREEN…
Same for ee1 and nr0.
Could you suggest how do I add the ee1 and ee2 NIFs to the NIFF monitoring as normal monitored NIFs and not as “NetRAIN internal…”?
Why doesn’t the ‘-a’ flag works?

2. The second problem is occurring on several True64 V5.1A machines. What happens is that the NIFF detects an interface as Down & Dead (very scary :)
#niffconfig -v
Interface: ee2, description: NetRAIN internal, status: DOWN, event: DOWN, state: DEAD…
Interface: ee2, description:, status: DOWN, event: DOWN, state: DEAD…
Yet the interface is Up & Running as by ‘ifconfig –a’ command:
ee2: flags=4000c63
NetRAIN Virtual Interface: nr0
NetRAIN Attached Interfaces: ( ee2 ee1 ) Active Interface: ( ee2 )
As far as I see there is a physical link for the wire and the SW detects the machine and the port configured correctly.
Any ideas for what can be the problem?

Thanks to everyone for reviewing and if there are any ideas please post replies.
5 REPLIES 5
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: NIFF Problems :\

For problem 1. I think that once that the network interfaces are in netrain, you cannot modify it's configuration as isolated devices, the same is for lan_config. So, I think that you must remove the netrain interface before running niffconfig over the real interfaces.

For problem 2. You should ensure that autonegotiation is disabled for the interfaces (unless the interfaces are gigabit) and the switch.

Use lan_config to manually configure the speed, duplex and autonegotiation settings.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Pacman-3k

Thank you for your reply.
Iâ m going to try that.
If you can, I have another basic question: Iâ m trying to check now if the Auto-Neg is enabled for a certain Interface. Lan_config has no viewing parameter and ifconfig does not contain this information.
Who can defiantly I know if an interface is Auto-Neg enabled?

Again, thank you for your help.
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

The /var/adm/messages file would contain this info.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

You can use:

hwmgr get attr -cat network to verify the current speed and duplex mode.

See also:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Pacman-3k

Hi.
Again thanks to all of you for your help.

Still I canâ t solve the problem with the Interfaces that reported â DOWNâ by NIFF but seems to be plugged and working nicely.
I tried to disable the Auto-Neg on my Switch but it done no good.
BTW, Was I suppose to restart the machine? (I did it though I wasnâ t sure)
Any one have any more ideas?

Thank you and happy Holidays! :)