1753519 Members
6028 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Network access fails

Mohanan  Nair

Network access fails

Hi all,

I hv 2 ES40 servers in cluster (OS 5.1B) in active/passive mode. My active server intermittenly ( once in 3 days ) fails to respond, not able to ping the ethernet i/fs even locally. gives the following error:

Cannot register service: RPC: Unable to send; errno = No buffer space available

Ifconfig gives both ethernet i/f up.

any help is appreciated.

Kind regards
MOHANAN
6 REPLIES 6
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Re: Network access fails

This is because even an unconnected interface will queue up packets. Eventually the send queue for the interface will fill up, and you will get this error.

which kind of interface is involved, what are the error counters of the interface, the settings, are all patches installed?
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Muthukumar_5
Honored Contributor

Hai,

Check the packet tranmission rate on the interfaces with netstat or sar command.

Is there any log entries in syslog file. Get the RPC date exchange with rcpinfo or nfsstat command.

May be because of data packet transcation rate it will be affected. Check the memory buffer status during the data transaction with du or df or bdf command.

Regards,
Muthukumar.
Easy to suggest when don't know about the problem!
Sameer Patel
Occasional Advisor

Hi all,

Attaching the Syscheck file which will give a complete picture.

If u can elaborate?

Kind regards
MOHAN
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

after reviewing your configuration problem is quite clear. You have configured 2 network interfaces but only one will be used for outgoing traffic.

This is a typical config issue, beside there are many cluster config issues using private networks within the cluster without configuration, wrong ifaccess.conf entries etc.

Maybe time to redesign your cluster or to properly configure it. Open a call within the HP support center for assistent.

Btw. if you need load balancing use other mechanism not dual interfaces within the same subnet!
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Orrin
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Net Rain seems to work wonders!!!

We have been using it on our Clusters for over a yaer and a half with absolutely no problems.

But as Ralph says, please get your ifaccess.conf entries right..

Regards,
Orrin.
Vouters
Advisor

Hi,

I had to cure such a problem. The ENOBUFS (No buffer space available) I had to deal with came from the RPC Broadcast discovery mechanism and an unplugged cable.
Refer to:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/asktima/communications/00A2CA99-89A59E08-1C02A1.html
Hoping this can help.

BTW, I do not see many people posing problems looking first at http://askq.compaq.com/. This is the best place where one can eventually find solutions to problems.
Philippe