Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
Operating System - Tru64 Unix
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tru64 and new device file for a disk

SOLVED
Go to solution
Adam Garsha
Valued Contributor

Tru64 and new device file for a disk

What information does Tru64 use to determine whether a new device file is required for a disk. I am wondering if you replace a disk (and Bus-Target-Lun stays the same) will the device file change?

How about if instead of a SCSI disk I have a SAN disk and I represent it with the same WWID and B-T-L as before, will it have the same device name or will a new device file be created?

I want to understand what information Tru64 uses to determine if the disk is "the same" or "new".

Thanks,

Adam Garsha
1 REPLY
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Tru64 and new device file for a disk

In V4.xx, disk special device names are based on device position , ie bus,target,lun .

With V5.yy, disk special device names are based on a WWID, SAN logical units presenting the same WWID to the SAN will use the same special device name.

Physical disks on a SCSI bus device naqming is based on a WWID derived from the serial number of the device. Devices with non-unique serial numbers present a problem for V5.0 that can be worked around via the ddr.dbase .

Rgds,
___ Johan./

_JB_