Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1752647 Members
5704 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ultrix date problem

Ultrix date problem

hi,

I know that it is off topic, but I do not know better place to ask my question.

I ran Ultrix 4.5 on a VAXstation 3100 (KA42-A) and few months ago it just halted without any visible reason.

Since that it can not boot... the boot sequence stops (hangs) after network inerface detection with message:
WARNING: clock gained 40 days -- CHECK AND RESET THE DATE!

The question is, how can I reset that clock, to get my system back?

Thank you very much in advace.

Regards,
Z
2 REPLIES 2
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Re: Ultrix date problem

Hi,

I doubt, this is a problem with the date. You machine just can't get far enough to consider it a successfull boot and since the last one was 40 days ago. I must admit, ultrix="terra icognita" to me. Can you boot into single user and do a check on log and file systems?

greetings,

Michael
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Re: Ultrix date problem

This is a bit off the wall, but I'd check the batteries!
I suspect this error comes from an bad reaction to a severe mismatch between the battery backed up hardware clock and the time sample the system writes to disk every now and then.
The 3100 has 3 simple AAA NiCads in a white shrink-wrap and those could/should be fried by now.
I know because I recovered a few, 10+ years ago, from 3100s going to a scrap pile for private use. Those have all died years ago.
Just hook up (RadioShack to the rescue?) some fresh (but charged!) NiCads and see if it starts to work? Or at teh very least meaure the cell-pack? It should register 3.6 Volts (3*1.2) and should be able to temporarely (as a test) deliver 500mA. If it less than 3.0 V then I'd say they are suspect.

Just a wild guess...

Hein.