Simpler Navigation coming for Servers and Operating Systems
Coming soon: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We will combine many of the older boards, and you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. If you are looking for an older board and do not find it, check the consolidated boards, as the posts are still there.
Operating System - Tru64 Unix
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded a compaq DS 20

Sakui
Frequent Advisor

Upgraded a compaq DS 20

I upgrade the memory and cpu of an exiting True 64 unix. The next time i boot the machine it booted in single user mode with the following error
warning Dec_scsi : empty /etc/dec-scsci
error hw-topology /etc/dec-hw-db.bat invaild backup version.

now i specified the boot_def,boot_osflag, boot_file. It still boot into single user mode asking me to specified the kernel name file. i do not know what to do.Or do i need to compile the kernerl file: kind help me with guide.

2 REPLIES
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Re: Upgraded a compaq DS 20

Well, for starters you are in the wrong forum, but some moderator willl fix that.
There is a Tru64 specific forum.

I don't see how upgrading memory would have caused the problem you described. Possibly 'bad luck': Bad memory, or you jiggled a cable.
You might want to re-open the box, and make sure the internal (scsi) cables are still properly seated.

At this point I would boot -f genvmunix
Let it come up and 'doconfig -k YOURSYSTEM
Now mv kernel to /vmunix and boot.

Good luck!
Hein.
Sakui
Frequent Advisor

Re: Upgraded a compaq DS 20

when i used the boot -f /genvmunix. it said no option like that found. i used the /genvmunix.Now i have done the doconfig -a.Now how do i move the kernel to the vmunix and boot.i need some help guru