Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
Operating System - Tru64 Unix
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disabling FTP banner in Tru64 unix

disabling FTP banner in Tru64 unix

Hi
i am having Tru64 unix 5.1A & 5.1B servers. Whenever i run ftp i get the following messages.
# ftp localhost
Connected to localhost.
220 newamd FTP server (Compaq Tru64 UNIX Version 5.60) ready.
Name (localhost:root):

here i want to hide the banner " Compaq Tru64 UNIX Version 5.60)" & put my customized banner in that place.

Can any body guide me how to do it?
2 REPLIES
Orjan Petersson
Frequent Advisor

Re: disabling FTP banner in Tru64 unix

You can add your own banner with /etc/banner but AFAIK it will not replace the line
220 newamd FTP server (Compaq Tru64 UNIX Version 5.60) ready

(An alternative could be changing the ftp server: ProFTPd works for us; PureFTPd had problems with huge directories)
Nigel Halliday
Occasional Advisor

Re: disabling FTP banner in Tru64 unix

Unfortunately you can't change the initial reply (220) line that you receive when you connect to ftpd. This is compiled into the executable - it is built up from:

'hostname' - using gethostname(); to get the system hostname
'_CS_SYSTEM_BANNER' - using confstr(); to get the system banner, compiled into the kernel
'version' - defined string is version of ftpd code

The previous suggestion of using a different ftp daemon either doesn't display this or allows you to change it if you have access to the source code.

Regards,

Nigel