Re: performance issue

Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

cfsstat directio
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

User mode time is waht hurts your system.
DirectIO, while great, is NOT going to save user mode time.
Whether a disk is served or not does NOT impact user mode time.
Whether a disk is near full or heavily fragmented, that's not good, but it is currently not hurting you because you still manage to burn all this usermode time.

[Hmmm I suppose oracle could be spinning during latch contention waiting for IO]

The only system things which influences user mode time is memory cache effectiveness and translation buffer effectivement.
Scheduling is one component to that, but you do not have excessive context switches.

GH memory for the SGA can help translation buffer effectivness, avoiding use mode processor cycle stalls.

Using SPIKE on the oracle image might increase the instruction cache effectivness.

But all of that is a drop in the bucket if the user mode calls are ineffective.

All the talking here is just trying to avoid the 'real work' which is getting an understanding what oracle is doing based on application request.

Once you have provided a clear argument showing the application and Oracle queries are tuned, then you can think further about processor binding, GH buffers, direct IO, Spike and so on to get the last ounces of performance out of the box. But you may not need to go there at all!

Good luck,
Hein.
edi_4
Advisor

Thank you! I am agree - it seems to be oracle related... but I can not tunning aplications.
I switched cfsmgr -a (file domain baza2_domain) is now served from member1, direct i/o is enabled, I also decreased vm_page_target from 1024 to 768 and increased ubc_max from 25 to 35%. There is no progres...

Do you thing - adding aditional memory will help? Now is 3GB, I can upgrade to max 16GB?

edi_4
Advisor

The only think (cpu busy related) I can find out from monitor is: high intr scall. When syscall is more than 50000 the cpu idle time become smaller and smaller. On 80000 - 100000 scall there is idle CPU state 0%....
Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

I think what Hein is saying, although I have seen him state it more clearly at times ;-), is that you need to determine whether Oracle is working the way it should. That is, make sure that the queries it does are doing the right thing. If that's the case, you probably need more CPU's rather than memory. But if you do make the system faster, it won't be long before that dsk5 becomes the next bottleneck.

Also... remember we don't have a lot of information to work with.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Thanks Han! :-)

>> Thank you! I am agree - it seems to be oracle related... but I can not tunning aplications.

Well, then you may not be able to solve this problem.
Find someone else that can!
You may have to fix 'management' first, before you can fix the technical problem.

Statspack data is likely the best step towards understand what can be done.

The high syscall rate is likely to be caused by having full statistics. So after you collecting a few relevant statspack snaps you can try changing that.
Either switch it off with ( SYSTEM SET timed_statistics = 0) or at least change the level from TYPICAL to BASIC.

And you may want to install a 'timedev'
(mknod /dev /timedev c 15 0
chmod 664 /dev /timedev
... restart Oracle)

But again, this will mostly reduce system time some, and can not really be expected to make a big dent in user time.

Cheers,
Hein.