New Discussion

Re: swap space full

SOLVED
Go to solution
Khairy
Esteemed Contributor

hi guys,

sorry for late coming back late. Was out of office for a couple of days.

Yes, martin is right. /sbin/swapdefault does exist and that prove the system is running on lazy (deferred) swap mode.

I guess, i couldn't change this as I think this mode is better. If i would go to eager mode, that would definately (maybe) makes things worst as swap space will be reserve unncessarily for process.

But robs finding interest me. Yes, it seems most of the process owns by adm consumes a lot of memory. And i think hein comments would explain all why 3GB + VSZs.

Setting 4GB to the following value might not make sense at all:

per-proc-stack-size
max-per-proc-stack-size

I will try to reduce above values to 1GB first and retain the other parameters. What you guys think?

In meanwhile, i will discuss with the app guy is it normal for this process to consume a lot of memory for text files processing.

Thanks again!
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Please note that the 1Gb suggestion was just to see whether you are on the rigth track. That is still a pretty ridicoulous stack size. Maybe someone mistook bytes for Kbytes somewhere, as ulimit specifies the size in kbytes. Something in the 1 - 32 MB region is probably much more reasonable.

Stack space, besides being its obvious use for call stacks, is used for LOCAL variable.
That's typically kilobytes, but could be megabytes or indeed gigabytes if say a programmer chose to reserve an array to hold millions of lines from data files.
Typically one would use HEAP space for that though (malloc), or map the file, or scan an process as you go.

Hein.