Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
Operating System - VMware
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESXi 4.1 - SATA drive slow

Piotr Kirklewski
Super Advisor

ESXi 4.1 - SATA drive slow

Hi there
I'm using ESXi 4.1 with just one 1TB SATA drive to play with some installations at home.
Since some time ago I noticed significant decrease in performance of my VM's. At first I thought it's a network issue but today I discovered the following:

1. Copying a file from one VM to another VM on the same drive:
100% 68MB 216.9KB/s 05:20

2. Copying the same file from a VM to my Laptop: 100% 68MB 33.9MB/s 00:02

As you see sending the same file via the network takes significantly less time than from VM to VM on the same drive.

Any ideas on what's going on ?

Jesus is the King
1 REPLY
BPE
Esteemed Contributor

Re: ESXi 4.1 - SATA drive slow

What is the HW you are using?
There are some Intel Sandy Bridge SATA controller which will lose performance over time but I never heard or saw that HP is using this technology inside there severs. If you are using such HW, I would recommend to check the chip which is used for the disk controller. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379241,00.asp