Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
Operating System - VMware
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vmware Recovery without SRM

Lilaa
Occasional Advisor

vmware Recovery without SRM

Hi All,
How to setup a manual site recovery procedure ..
both sites are in same subnet separated by distance of 100 + KM, each location has its own local san and we are replicating daily.

site A:
45 VMs, 5 esx host, 3 host in cluster ( FT/HA).

site B:
10 VMs, 4 esx host, 2 host in cluster.

Site A and Site B are in same subnet, how to approach to create a recovery plan for One day RPO/RTO without using SRM ?

case 1: recover One or Two VMs to dr site.
case 2: recover all VMs to DR site.

is there any issue recovering a MV replicated from HA cluster ?

Thanks in advance for all your valuable inputs.
3 REPLIES
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Re: vmware Recovery without SRM

hah, not easy question...

we are running a SAN virtualization project with HP SVSP to solve this without vmware SRM. You virtualize storage SAN and run usuall HA and DRS as it looks like non-geographical storage...

Jan
Lilaa
Occasional Advisor

Due to limitation of network bandwith I had to give up that HA/FT between sites, if not I could have eliminated all of the above by assiging a single Multi-Site-Cluster san.

SRM does lot of automation, but with same subnet between sites, not sure how far i could benifit using SRM.
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

hello, you say you have limits between locations... I think there are SAN virtualization product running even on lover bandwith connections...

Jan