1748203 Members
3173 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 2910-al vlan conf questions

gitoshalka
Occasional Contributor

2910-al vlan conf questions

Example hp 2910-al configuration: 2 switch LAN and Backplane with LAN management(for HA cluster) . Backplane Interconnect example

These instructions assume you are configuring a switch for use as part of  Two Switches, LAN and Backplane with LAN Management and Interconnect. If you are using a different configuration, modify the steps as appropriate.

To assign ports, take the following steps:
1. On the VLAN Menu, highlight VLAN Port Assignment and press Enter. The Port Assignment screen opens.
2. Use the arrow keys on the Action-> menu to highlight Edit and press Enter. You can now edit the information on this screen.
3. Set each port to Forbid for the DEFAULT_VLAN by highlighting the setting in the column for the VLAN, and pressing Spacebar.
4. Choose Port 1 as the LAN VLAN Uplink / Mgmt to connect your cluster to the rest of your network.
5. Set the  LAN network to Untagged.
6. Set the  BACKPLANE VLAN network to Forbid.
7.  Select Port 2 as the Backplane VLAN
Uplink port to connect the two switches together for the BACKPLANE VLAN network.
8. For the backplane ports, set Ports 17-24 to Untagged to allow 8 nodes without any VLAN switch adjustments. (For Option 3: Single Switch, Backplane Only with LAN Management, set Ports 2-24
to Untagged.)
How do I do steps 4 and 7.
8 throws me for a loop because I am supposed to do step 6?

I am totally confused. Can someone type what each switch is to look like using the menu option and not the cli option 

2 REPLIES 2
Vince_Whirlwind
Trusted Contributor

I used to always use the Menu for VLAN port assignment on the Procurves, because it seemed the easiest way to do it.

So, from the menu, you type "2" for "Switch configuration"

then "7" for "VLAN Menu"

then "2" for "VLAN Names", here you use "Add" to create your LAN and BACKPLANE VLANs.

then go "Back"

then "3" VLAN Port Assignment"

then hit the --> Right arrow key on your keyboard to move the highlight the "Edit" Action then hit the Enter key.

You can now use the arrow keys to go down one line to port 2. The use the Right arrow key to move across to the "BACKPLANE" column. Now, use the spacebar to cycle through your options until you get what you want.

It looks like you basically need to set your switch as follows:

Port1: "Untagged" for "LAN",  "No" for the other 2 VLANs.

Port2: "Untagged" for "BACKPLANE", "No" for the other 2 VLANs.

Ports17-24: "Untagged" for "BACKPLANE"", "No" for the other VLANs.

Ignore where it says to "Forbid". I don't see the point of that, "No" is fine.

Alternatively, hit enter, go Left, hit enter, press "0" to go to the Main Menu, "5" to go to the command line then

then type each of the following on a new lione after pressing Enter after each one:

enable

conf t

VLAN 2

name LAN

VLAN3

name BACKPLANE

vlan 2 untag 1

vlan 3 untag 2

vlan 3 untag 17-24

write mem

gitoshalka
Occasional Contributor

I will work on this today and see what occurs. I will get back to you shortly..thanks