3124 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP 2920 Setup with IP phones and multiple networks

Thowc
Visitor

HP 2920 Setup with IP phones and multiple networks

Hello everyone!

I'm a desperate man. We are moving to an Avaya IP phone system and I have a collection of HP 2920 switches that need configured. Basically, we're getting a private network that interconnects our remote facilities across the city. Each switch will need 2 vlans, one for the facilitie's LAN and one for the private network. I've attached a PDF showing the setup. All facilities need to route from their LAN, across the private MAN, into the central building's LAN, and out the firewall if needed. The phones all come back to the central office and out PRI lines. I'm tasked with getting the switches configured but can't seem to get it. I'm not really familiar with vlans and tagged/untagged, etc.

I should also mention that all client PCs will 'piggy-back' off of the new IP phones.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Thowc

4 REPLIES 4
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Re: HP 2920 Setup with IP phones and multiple networks

What about a VLAN/subnet for the VoIP phones?

From your diagram, it looks to me like the 2920s should have config a bit like this:
(assuming PCs patched through phones that are patched to ports 1 to 47 on each switch, port 48 being patched to the MAN network, and you have a local DHCP server on the DATA VLAN)

ip routing
router rip enable
lldp run
vlan 15 name DATA
   ip address 192.168.15.1/24
   untagged 1-47
vlan 115 name VOICE
   voice
   ip address 192.168.115.1/24
   ip helper-address 192.168.15.?
   tagged 1-47
vlan 199 name MAN
   ip address 10.10.10.15/24
   untagged 48
   ip rip

Both Data and Voice VLANs are made available on each switchport - the phone patches to that port, sees the untagged VLAN and passes it through to its PC, and sees the tagged VLAN and LLDP tells it this is the Voice VLAN so it uses that itself.

You will also have to figure out how to configure the phones. Often, the easiest way to do this is to use your phone vendor's DHCP option (Avaya might use option176 or 242) to provide the phone with an IP address for its voice server, QoS settings, etc...

Thowc
Visitor

Sorry for the long delay! I'm setting this up on my test bench. I'll let you know how it goes.

If this is all the configuration the switch needs, I was WAY overthinking things!

Thowc

Thowc
Visitor

Another thing... we were going to use the dhcp-server feature of the switch for most of our remote locations. They don't have many devices on their networks and do not have an on-site DHCP server. Right now, they are using Cisco ASAs for their DHCP needs, but those are going away. Can I have multiple DHCP pools on these switches and designate them per-vlan?

Thanks again!

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

I don't personally use 2920s as DHCP servers, but if you look on the CLI, you should see the following global command:
     dhcp-server enable

Then, you can configure a scope:
     dhcp-server pool "Voice"
        default-router 192.168.115.1
        network 192.168.115.0 255.255.255.0
        range 192.168.115.21 192.168.115.199

Then, under your VLAN, you should find the following command available:
   dhcp-server

Check it with:
   show dhcp-server binding

I don't know what options the 2920 DHCP server will support. If any. So not sure how your phones are going to get their config...